(Photo Credit: Annie Dimas)
13th Annual Santa Monica Airport ArtWalk Returns March 23
Saturday, March 23, 2019
12 – 5 p.m., Free
Along Airport Ave. between Bundy Dr. and 23rd St., Santa Monica
Free event inspires artistic exploration with open artist studios, workshops, music, food and more. The Airport has a rich history as the former home of the Douglas Aircraft Company and the birthplace of the DC-3 and is now home to over 60 artists and a number of creative venues. The ArtWalk is a fun-filled day of artistic exploration within this creative campus. Attendees are invited to watch art and ceramic demonstrations, participate in art and theater
Art, Exhibits & Demonstrations
- Santa Monica Art Studios, one of the airport’s largest hangars, along with artist studios throughout the airport, invite you to meet the artists and discover a variety of mediums and styles including painting, sculpture, ceramics, and mixed media.
- Santa Monica Art Studios’ ARENA 1 Gallery features the opening reception for the group exhibit Tra 2. Mari/Between 2 Seas: Where SouthernCalifornia meets Southern Italy, which focuses on how artists from different countries give shape to their heterogeneous creative reality.
- Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts students will demonstrate a range of techniques including wheel throwing, hand formed sculpture, and Raku firing. An exhibit of work will be on display as will the popular sale of student artwork.
- The Museum of Flying features a collection of the many artifacts related to the Douglas Aircraft Company, a variety of exhibits, aviation art, and an array of aircraft from a Wright Flyer replica to aircraft of the jet age.
Theatre, Music, Workshops, & More
- Highlights of The Ruskin Group Theatre’s popular monthly offering L.A. Café Plays.
- Los Angeles-based artist collective Subsuelo will be spinning family-friendly tunes featuring old-school tropical music and flamenco/hip-hop fusion that will keep you moving throughout the day.
- The all-female mariachi group Las Colibrí, or “The Hummingbirds”, will be performing throughout the airport.
- The unique store Pilot Outfitters features gifts, art, historic items and multiple fun selfie ops.
- Ruby Gara (16) will demonstrate her watercolor technique, answer questions and lead a watercolor workshop along with her mother Kristen Gara.
Fun for Kids
- A collaborative sculpture with Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts.
- Theater improvisation workshops at the Ruskin Group Theatre.
- The popular ArtWalk Stamp Hunt, a self-guided exploration of the ArtWalk and airport with a prize for those who complete it.
- Noted aviation artist, author
andhistorian Mike Machat will tell stories of flight while he simultaneously draws the planes to bring them to life at the Museum of Flying.
- A Yarn Mandala craft workshop with artists Tanja Rector and John Goetz.
- Spitfire Grill, decorated with WWII military and Douglas Aircraft photography, serves traditional American food.
- Some of the area’s finest food trucks will be serving popular bites, sweets and coffee including Kogi, Richeese, Sizzle & Fiyah, Let’s Be Frank, The Churro Man and Brewtique.
- Bring your own bottle to fill up at the water station throughout the day.