Celebrate Bike to Work Day on May 16
May 6, 2019 8:45 AM
by Sirinya Matute, Jeffrey Snyder, Puja Thomas-Patel , Jack Moreau
UPDATE: Due to forecasted rain, some Bike to Work Day 2019 events are moving to FRIDAY, MAY 17. This includes the Bike Pit Stop Locations at Santa Monica City Hall and Santa Monica Bike Center from 7:30 - 9:00 am, featuring giveaways, food and beverages, gift packs for bikers, and lots of bicycling information. Big Blue Bus and Breeze Bike Share will still offer their free ride promotion on Thursday, May 16. See below and Santa Monica Spoke's website for more information.
Bike to Work Day is focused on getting people to trade their vehicle for a bike for their commute to work. Not only is biking a mode of transportation that is better for the environment, our health, and our wallets, it also helps to reduce traffic congestion on our roads and freeways.
- Pledge to ride your bike to work! Help us set a new Bike to Work Day record by taking the Pledge to Ride. Then encourage your friends, family and co-workers to take the pledge, too!
- Plan Your Route
There are 113 miles of bike lanes in Santa Monica, 19 of which are now painted green! Start with the City’s map or use Google Maps. Need help? GoSaMo is here for you!
- Free Breeze and Transit Rides on Bike to Work day, May 16th!
- Need a set of wheels for Bike to Work Day? Breeze Bike Share is offering free ride time all day on May 16th. *Out-of-hub and out-of-system area fees still apply.
- Live just a tad too far to bike all the way to work? On Bike to Work Day, bicycle commuters can use Big Blue Bus (BBB) for free! To claim your free ride, simply bring your bicycle or bike helmet on board. Follow BBB’s guide to #GoodBikeKarma here.
- Visit a Bike Pit Stop for complimentary refreshments and mingling!
You’ll find dozens of pit stops across the County, including at Santa Monica City Hall and Santa Monica Bike Center in the heart of Downtown Santa Monica. The map below shows all the pit stops in Santa Monica and you can find more pit stops across LA County here.
Bike to Work Day is Part of National Bike Month
Join Santa Monica as we celebrate biking in LA throughout the month of May. Santa Monica Spoke has pulled together a comprehensive list of all of the Bike Month activities and we’ve included some highlights below:
- Bike It! Walk It! Week (May 6 – May 11). Across Santa Monica, families can help their child’s school achieve the highest level of participation in our semi-annual event by getting to campus using alternative modes of transportation.
- Bike to Work Week Twitter Party (Tuesday, May 14). Metrolink has partnered with sponsor DTLA Bikes to co-host ONE BIG Twitter Party on Tuesday, May 14 from 5-6 p.m. with the official hashtag #BikeToWork2019. Answer trivia questions for a chance to win fun prizes, including a brand-new bike! P.S. Metrolink is providing bicyclists free rides throughout Bike Week LA.
- Handlebar Happy Hour (Thursday, May 16). At Tiato Kitchen + Venue, 2700 Colorado Ave., Santa Monica. Mention “Bike Local SM” for 10% off.
- Bike Ride with Santa Monica’s City Manager (Saturday, May 18). Join City Manager Rick Cole on a group bicycle ride to explore our 19 miles of recently painted green bike lanes. RSVPs requested.
Santa Monica Named a Top City for Bikes in 2019 PlacesForBikes City Ratings
PeopleForBikes released its second annual rating of bicycling in U.S. cities and Santa Monica was ranked #17 out of over 500 communities. PlacesForBikes City Ratings is a data-driven analysis that evaluates the safety, appeal and infrastructure of bicycling in the community.