August 24, 2021 1:58 PM
by Rachel Foyt
The Santa Monica Public Library is working on upgrades to our library management software to improve the customer experience of library patrons. For the new software to launch on September 2, 2021, all SMPL locations will be closed Monday, August 30 to Wednesday, September 1, 2021 to facilitate the transition. There are other impacts all library patrons should be aware of as we make these upgrades. Here’s what you need to know:
- Placing holds on books and materials will temporarily be unavailable from Monday, August 16 through Wednesday, September 1. Please pick up all held items by Thursday, August 26 at the Main Library and Montana Ave. Branch and by Friday, August 27 at the Pico and Ocean Park Branches.
- All SMPL locations will be closed Monday, August 30 through Wednesday, September 1, 2021 for migration of data and records and staff training on the new system.
- Library cardholder accounts, fines, and holds information will be unavailable online from Friday, August 27 through Wednesday, September 1.
- The library will reopen Thursday, September 2. Library card PIN numbers will change from your current PIN to your four-digit birth year.
- On Thursday, September 2 you can reset your PIN number by logging into My Account at smpl.bibliocommons.com/account/password. The change in your PIN number will affect all apps (Hoopla, Libby, , SMPL Mobile app) that require your library card number to log in.
- When the software goes live on September 2 the online experience for our patrons will not change. You will be able to search the library catalog, access your account, and place materials on hold. The website will look the same and retain the functionality patrons are accustom to.
- The Main Library and Pico Branch are closed on Saturday, September 4 and will open on Saturday, September 11.
- All SMPL locations are closed on Monday, September 6.
- SMPL relies on library management software to manage our collections as well as library cardholder accounts. The software is the backbone of our online library catalog of books, magazines, movies, music, and more. It helps us keep track of your holds, loans, accounts, and profiles.
- The new software provides budget savings for SMPL, is used by many public libraries nationwide, and provides a comprehensive suite of tools that will help us engage and connect with our community. All of which will lead to better service for library cardholders.
Questions about your library account or the new library management software? Call us at (310) 458- 8600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Thursday 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you back at the library on September 2 with a new and improved experience for all your library needs!
Senior Administrative Analyst