Riders Guide to Paperless Transfers on TAP: Part II
May 31, 2018
by Lauren Deaderick
Transfer on 2nd Boarding (TO2B) will officially launch on July 15, 2018. To help you prepare for paperless transfers on TAP, Big Blue Bus (BBB) created this quick and informative “Riders Guide to TO2B”.
Read the Riders Guide Part I, where we introduced you to paperless transfers.
What does this mean for you?
- On July 15, interagency transfers (IATs) must be made with Stored Value (cash value) on a TAP card; paper transfers will no longer be issued.
- Riders using cash, Token Transit, BBB paper passes, or student identification cards will no longer be able to purchase a paper transfer.
How does it work?
First Trip of Your Journey
The first trip must be paid with a TAP card or you will have to pay full fare on the second trip. TAP your preloaded card on BBB or the TAP participating agency’s validator located on the bus or at a rail station. A green screen and a positive beep means you are ready to ride! A red screen and negative beep means you need to load your card.
Check out the tables below to see what transfers will look like under TO2B using a TAP card loaded with Stored Value.
* The fare amount will vary depending on Regular fare or Senior/Medicare/Disabled fare.
** There are no BBB to BBB transfers.
Second Trip of Your Journey
You will have two-and-a-half (2.5) hours to transfer to the next bus or train. Only one transfer is allowed during the 2.5-hour window. TAP your card a second time on the next agency’s TAP validator located on the bus or at a rail station. A green screen and a positive beep means you are ready to ride! A red screen and negative beep means you need to load your card.
Once you’ve purchased a TAP card, you can load Stored Value onto your card four ways:
- In-Person - Blue: The Transit Store or any TAP vendor locations
- Online – Taptogo.net
- By Phone – TAPTOGO (1.866.827.8646)
Metro Rail Ticket Vending Machines – Located at all Metro Rail Stations
After loading your TAP card with Stored Value you will be able to save time and money when riding and transferring between BBB and all TAP participating agencies!
Still have questions? Give us a call Monday through Saturday, at (310) 451-5444.