Citywide Santa Monica Curfew is in Effect at 6:00 p.m. on June 3rd through 6 a.m. June 4th.
Safer at Home with the Santa Monica Public Library
April 23, 2020
by Casey Cambridge
We are several weeks into following County and State stay home orders, and most of us have probably spent too much time thinking about all the places we cannot go.
Fortunately, there’s always an adventure to be had and digital places to go with your Santa Monica Public Library card. If you don’t have one yet, apply for a temporary card and walk through the doors of our 24/7 digital branch.
You can access eBooks and virtual programs at SMPL online all while following safer at home and physical distancing orders. Below is a sample itinerary for your days at home.
Catch up on the news every morning
- ProQuest is your one-stop connection to articles from the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal.
- Also not to be missed, the New York Times Online edition. Enjoy 24-hour unlimited entry when you create an account.
Listen to some midday music
One song. Sometimes, that’s all it takes. To show you the way back to a better mood, a forgotten place, or a different time.
- With Hoopla, you could spend the better part of a day browsing their music catalog, but you’ll find they host quite a bit of everything including ebooks, comics, movies, and more.
- Are you ready for new, creative, and unusual music? DRAM is the place. If you find yourself overwhelmed by the collection, select “random” and see where it takes you.
Escape from the inside by digitally exploring a remote place in the afternoon
- OverDrive features an array of travel e-books and plenty of others that can take you places only found in the mind’s eye.
- With over 70 to choose from, Mango Languages prepares you for inevitable communication breakdowns abroad.
Expand your dinner repertoire
- RBdigital showcases more than a few e-magazines devoted entirely to cooking, like Saveur and Cook's Illustrated, and there’s at least one or two recipes hiding out between the last fifteen pages of many publications.
- With over thousands of magazines and journals to peruse, Masterfile Complete offers a great deal to see and search for, including the inspiration for the question on everyone’s mind: what’s for dinner?
Your travels across our digital landscape might look completely different. Maybe it’s a kitchen table devoted to arts and crafts, a sudden interest in turning your patio into a secret garden, or storytime beneath the safety of a sheet fort. Bring the gym to your living room. The movie theatre, too. It’s your choice.
Someday, we’ll shed our gloves, our face coverings, and share a smile once more. But until then, know that we are here for you at (310) 458-8600, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. or email us at email@example.com.