Tips to Have a Safe July 4th Holiday
June 28, 2019
by Eric Binder
As the July 4th holiday approaches, the Santa Monica Fire Department reminds everyone that ALL fireworks are illegal in the City of Santa Monica.
This includes so-called “safe and sane” fireworks, which may not be used in Santa Monica EVEN IF they are legal in the city in which they are purchased. The public is urged to avoid the use of consumer fireworks and instead to enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals.
If you still doubt that fireworks are unsafe, take a look at these stats gathered by the National Fire Protection Association.
- Fireworks cause an estimated 18,500 reported fires in the U.S. each year.
- U.S. hospital rooms saw an estimated 12,900 people for firework-related injuries in 2017. 22% of these injuries were to the head, face and ear.
- Sparklers alone account for more than one-quarter of emergency room firework injuries.
- About two in five fires started by fireworks each year are reported on Independence Day.
Here’s what Santa Monica law says about the use of fireworks:
- Possession of fireworks is considered a misdemeanor and may be punishable up to $1,000.00 fine, and or 6 months in jail.
- City of Santa Monica Fire Code 5601.1.3 Seizure of Fireworks. All fireworks shall be illegal in the City of Santa Monica including California State Fire Marshal “Safe and Sane” fireworks. No person shall possess, transport, sell or offer for sale any such fireworks.
We recommend celebrating Independence Day by checking out local firework shows or joining the Santa Monica community at one of these local events.
- 13th Annual Fourth of July Parade
- Independence Day Celebration at Santa Monica College
- Pacific Palisades 4th of July Parade, Concert & Fireworks
For more information about local July 4th events, visit www.santamonica.com.