COVID-19: For the latest local coronavirus information, visit santamonica.gov/coronavirus. Questions? Call 310-458-8400 or email email@example.com, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily. Please leave 9-1-1 open for emergency calls to help ensure emergency phone lines are used for life threatening circumstances only.
COVID-19 - Closures and Service Changes
The LA County Department of Public Health is the lead agency on the emergency and sets the timeline for reopening businesses by sector, not the City. Everyone should visit the County's website for up-to-the-minute updates at: www.covid19.lacounty.gov/recovery
Every Santa Monica business is required to adhere to the latest County’s public health requirements for reopening for their sector, which are posted at www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/coronavirus
Essential businesses have always been able to operate during the public health emergency.
For a comprehensive list of “essential” sectors, refer to the County’s Safer at Home Business FAQs. Customers are advised to call ahead to ensure the business they want to visit is open.Roadmap to Recovery Safer at Home FAQs What's Open in LA County County of Public Health COVID-19 Website
Council, Commissions & Public Meeting Changes
City Council is meeting every other Tuesday via teleconference. For more information, visit www.smgov.net/council
The following boards and commissions can meet via teleconference during the remainder of the local emergency, but only as necessary to perform specified, primarily adjudicative and quasi-adjudicative duties set forth in the City Charter and Municipal Code:
- Planning Commission
- Airport Commission
- Library Board
- Personnel Board
- Recreation & Parks Commission
- Architectural Review Board
- Arts Commission
- Building & Fire-Life Safety Commission
- Landmarks Commission
Meetings of the following boards, commissions, task forces, and appointed bodies remain suspended.
- Audit Subcommittee
- Clean Beaches & Ocean Parcel Tax Citizens Oversight Committee
- Commission for the Senior Community
- Commission on the Status of Women
- Disabilities Commission
- Housing Commission
- Social Services Commission
- Task Force on the Environment
- Urban Forest Task Force
This order does not impact the Rent Control Board.
City Facility Reopenings
- Parks (outdoor recreation only)
- Reed Park and Ocean Park tennis courts Hours and Guidelines
City Facility Closures
- Annenberg Community Beach House
- Basketball courts
- Camera Obscura Art Lab
- City Hall (City business will continue)
- Clover Park office
- GoSaMo Center public counter
- Housing Office
- Muscle Beach
- Park fitness equipment
- Santa Monica Public Library branches
- Memorial Park buildings
- Miles Memorial Playhouse
- Park-based meeting rooms at Douglas, Euclid, Joslyn, Marine Park, and Reed Park.
- Parking Lots: Beach Parking Lots, Santa Monica Public Library - Main Library Parking Lot
- Reed Park tennis office
- Santa Monica Pier
- Splash pads
- Swim Center
- Virginia Avenue Park Campus Facilities
- Volleyball Courts
Youth Program Cancellations
CREST, PAL, and Virginia Avenue Park Campus programs and youth enrichment service are closed.
- CREST office and CREST programs at all school sites
- PAL facility at Memorial Park and PAL Fitness Gym at Virginia Avenue Park
- All facilities at Virginia Avenue Park Campus, including Pico Branch Library, Annex, Park Center, Thelma Terry Building, Patio Room, and 2101 Building/Teen Center
Recreation Program Cancellations
- Aquatics: programming and permits
- Sports: Drop-in skate park, fitness center, tennis, field permits, Playground Partnership Program, adult sports leagues and tennis court permits.
- Community Services: Community camps, classes, facility permits, and educational activities at the Ishihara Learning Garden.
The parks remain open for public use, but playgrounds are closed and remember to practice social distancing.
All events have been cancelled.
The counter for the Santa Monica Animal Shelter is closed.
Big Blue Bus
The GoSaMo Center public counter is closed, and the Big Blue Bus and MODE Call Center will remain open; however, Saturday call center hours are canceled.
- BBB customers may visit this website, call 310-451-5444, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- MODE members may visit this website, call 310-458-MODE (6633), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- BBB and MODE customers may continue to reach us via Santa Monica Works at smgov.net/santamonicaworks
Building and Safety
- Plan review, permitting and inspections will continue as normal. Staff will facilitate the intake of permit applications and issuance of building permits digitally through email and phone throughout the City Hall closure.
- All other submittals (e.g. extensions, renewals, records requests) will be done via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with payments made online.
- Inspections staff taking added precautions in regards to personal interactions and spacing.
- Expiration of building projects permitted before March 16 are tolled (paused) and will resume after the local emergency is over. Learn more.
- Passport services are suspended.
- Please drop off any items related to lobbyist registrations, claims, subpoenas, or lawsuits at the Public Safety Facility front desk (333 Olympic Drive).
- For Public Records requests, please visit the Public Records request website.
- Our priority is enforcing the State, County and Local emergency orders including business closures and operations and physical distancing. Code Enforcement is also responsible for responding to emergencies that are life safety and health safety.
- Code Enforcement's call center is staffed Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm to take complaints from the public that fit into these categories. The number is 310-458-4984 and email is email@example.com.
- Voucher holders who need assistance should contact their housing specialist via email or leave a voicemail on their extension (or email firstname.lastname@example.org). All voucher holders will receive a letter in the mail about signing up for AssistanceCheck, and should follow the instructions in the letter.
- Routine recertification inspections have been canceled.
- All other inquiries should be directed to email@example.com. For those without access to email, please call 310-458-8740 and press 0 to leave a voicemail (we will respond to voicemails as quickly as possible but callers should expect delays).
- Public Libraries are closed.
- The public lobby at the GoSaMo Center is closed.
- Parking staff are available to answer emails via firstname.lastname@example.org and telephone calls (310-458-8295) and complete online services and requests for validations. No walk up counter services are available and parking for city meetings and events will not be provided at this time.
- Film-LA requests for the Beach and surface lots will not be accepted at this time.
- Pier, Downtown and Beach parking operations may be temporarily suspended to reduce public crowding.
- To pay or contest a parking citation, call (800) 214-1526 or visit paytickets.smgov.net.
- For general questions, please e-mail email@example.com. This email address will be monitored throughout the day and a planner will respond within 24 hours.
- If you have an assigned planner, please email them directly for inquiries. Planners will be returning inquiries over email or phone within 24 hours.
- Planning application submittal appointments will be accepted via e-mail. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “APPLICATION SUBMITTAL (PROJECT ADDRESS)” in the subject line to request a submittal appointment. You will be contacted by Planning staff who will schedule your submittal appointment for the following Tuesday or Thursday with further details regarding how to prepare for on-line document submittal and paying fees with a credit card. Unfortunately, same-day appointments cannot be accommodated unless there are urgent reasons. More information>>
- Deadlines for reviewing and acting on planning applications and exercising rights under planning entitlements, are tolled (paused) commencing as of March 16, 2020, and will resume after the local emergency is over. Learn more.
- The Mobility Division is now able to accept applications and issue all permits remotely with modified procedures, including Oversize Load Permits, Temporary No Parking Signs (TNPS), Temporary Traffic Control Plans (TTCP), & Roadway Closure Permits. Please email us at email@example.com for service. The account is monitored daily from 8 am to 5 pm, except for Saturdays, Sundays and alternate Fridays.
- Worksite Transportation Plans and Emission Reduction Plans should only be submitted using the CityGrows portal. Any plans or payments mailed to City offices may not be received until staff has returned to standard working arrangements. If you would like assistance completing your TDM plan, requesting an extension, or making a payment please contact TDMPlans@smgov.net. To learn more about transportation resources for Santa Monica businesses, contact the GoSaMo Transportation Management Organization.
Rent Control Public Counter
The Rent Control public counter is closed. Service will continue at 310-458-8751 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utility billing, business license and treasury
- Pay your utility bill online.
- Business license online services. For business license questions, please call 310-458-8745 or email Business.License@smgov.net
- For other types of tax payments or Treasury-related inquiries, call the number below or email Treasury@smgov.net