COVID-19 - Reopenings and Service Changes
The LA County Department of Public Health is the lead agency on the COVID-19 public health emergency and sets the timeline for reopening businesses by sector, not the City. Everyone should visit the County's website for up-to-the-minute updates at: www.covid19.lacounty.gov/recovery
Resources and information about local economic recovery can be found at santamonica.gov/economicrecovery
Every Santa Monica business is required to adhere to the latest County public health requirements for reopening their sector, which are posted at publichealth.lacounty.gov/coronavirus
Essential businesses have always been able to operate during the public health emergency. For a comprehensive list of “essential” sectors, refer to the County’s Safer at Home Business FAQs. Customers are advised to call ahead to ensure the business they want to visit is open.COVID-19 Home Roadmap to Recovery Parking Updates Safer at Home FAQs What's Open in LA County County of Public Health COVID-19 Website
City Facility Closures
The LA County Department of Public Health has issued public health guidance impacting the following closures. Check back for regular updates:
- Annenberg Community Beach House (pool to remain closed through June 2021). Details at annenbergbeachhouse.com
- Basketball courts
- Public access to Camera Obscura Art Lab. Open only to artist studio residency candidates with restrictions based on LA County Public Health Order. Details and Info
- City Hall (City business will continue)
- Clover Park office
- Housing Office
- Santa Monica Public Library branches (book returns and curbside service available)
- Memorial Park buildings
- Miles Memorial Playhouse
- Park-based meeting rooms at Douglas, Euclid, Joslyn, Marine Park, and Reed Park.
- Splash pads
- Virginia Avenue Park buildings
City Facility Reopenings
A number of City facilities will begin to reopen with restrictions on a rolling basis. City staff need time to make facility improvements to ensure a safe reopen for the community. We are also working to make necessary changes to programming due to modified operating hours, staff reductions, social distancing, and infection control guidance.
The risk of community spread remains high, please follow all posted health guidance if you visit or participate in:
- Outdoor basketball courts in City parks are re-opening April 16, 2021. Details and Info
- Volleyball Courts are re-opening Saturday April 17, 2021. Details and Info
- Santa Monica State Beach
- Beach Bike Path
- Ocean Front Walk
- Tennis Courts Details and Info
- The Cove Skatepark Details and Info
- Santa Monica Beach parking lots - see "Parking" section below.
- Community gardens
- Santa Monica Pier
- Muscle Beach
- Park Fitness Equipment
- Swim Center. Details and Info
- Community recreation classes Details and Info
- Youth Sports Field Reservations and Permits. Details and Info
- Reed Park and Ocean Park Tennis Offices Details and Info
- GoSaMo Center public counter (partial reopening; Big Blue Bus public counter now open Monday - Thursday under modified hours, but parking operations remains closed until further notice).
Council, Commissions & Public Meeting Changes
City Council is meeting every other Tuesday via teleconference. For more information, visit www.smgov.net/council
In December 2020, through a supplement to Santa Monica’s local COVID-19 emergency, Boards and Commissions were invited to resume their meetings through teleconference on a quarterly basis through June 2021. Status update and upcoming meetings>
Youth Program Reopenings
City of Santa Monica’s out of school programs are open with limited capacity to ensure safety for the community. City staff are working to make necessary changes to programming due to modified operating hours, staff reductions, social distancing, and infection control guidance.
- For CREST, visit smgov.net/crest
- For the Police Activities League, visit smpal.org
- For programs at Virginia Avenue Park, visit smgov.net/vapark
Reopening is subject to change based on the County of Los Angeles Public Health orders and guidelines.
All events have been cancelled.
Animal Control and Animal Shelter
Updated information about the Animal Control Section can be found at santamonicapd.org.
BBB's public counter inside GoSaMo Center is now open Monday - Thursday, with modified hours. The Big Blue Bus and MODE Call Center will remain open; however, Saturday call center hours are canceled.
- BBB customers may visit this website, call 310-451-5444, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- MODE members may visit this website, call 310-458-MODE (6633), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- BBB and MODE customers may continue to reach us via Santa Monica Works at smgov.net/santamonicaworks
Building and Safety
- Plan review, permitting and inspections will continue as normal. Staff will facilitate the intake of permit applications and issuance of building permits digitally through email and phone throughout the City Hall closure.
- All other submittals (e.g. extensions, renewals, records requests) will be done via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with payments made online.
- Inspections staff taking added precautions in regards to personal interactions and spacing.
- Expiration of building projects permitted before March 16 are tolled (paused) and will resume after the local emergency is over. Learn more.
City Attorney's Office
The City Attorney’s Office is closed in person to the public. Service will continue at 310-458-8336 and email@example.com.
- During the Candidate Nomination Period, staff will be available by appointment, phone and email. Please visit smvote.org for more information.
- Passport services are suspended.
- Please drop off any items related to lobbyist registrations, claims, subpoenas, or lawsuits at the Public Safety Facility front desk (333 Olympic Drive).
- For Public Records requests, please visit the Public Records request website.
- Our priority is enforcing the State, County and Local emergency orders including business closures and operations and physical distancing. Code Enforcement is also responsible for responding to emergencies that are life safety and health safety.
- Code Enforcement's call center is staffed Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm to take complaints from the public that fit into these categories. The number is 310-458-4984 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Voucher holders who need assistance should contact their housing specialist via email or leave a voicemail on their extension (or email email@example.com). All voucher holders will receive a letter in the mail about signing up for AssistanceCheck, and should follow the instructions in the letter.
- Routine recertification inspections have been canceled.
- All other inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For those without access to email, please call 310-458-8740 and press 0 to leave a voicemail (we will respond to voicemails as quickly as possible but callers should expect delays).
- Public Libraries are closed (book returns and curbside service available).
For parking related questions, click here.
- For general questions, please e-mail email@example.com. This email address will be monitored throughout the day and a planner will respond within 24 hours.
- If you have an assigned planner, please email them directly for inquiries. Planners will be returning inquiries over email or phone within 24 hours.
- Planning application submittal appointments will be accepted via e-mail. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “APPLICATION SUBMITTAL (PROJECT ADDRESS)” in the subject line to request a submittal appointment. You will be contacted by Planning staff who will schedule your submittal appointment for the following Tuesday or Thursday with further details regarding how to prepare for on-line document submittal and paying fees with a credit card. Unfortunately, same-day appointments cannot be accommodated unless there are urgent reasons. More information>>
- Deadlines for reviewing and acting on planning applications and exercising rights under planning entitlements, are tolled (paused) commencing as of March 16, 2020, and will resume after the local emergency is over. Learn more.
- The Mobility Division is now able to accept applications and issue all permits remotely with modified procedures, including Oversize Load Permits, Temporary No Parking Signs (TNPS), Temporary Traffic Control Plans (TTCP), & Roadway Closure Permits. Please email us at email@example.com for service. The account is monitored daily from 8 am to 5 pm, except for Saturdays, Sundays and alternate Fridays.
- Emission Reduction Plans should only be submitted using the CityGrows portal. Any plans or payments mailed to City offices may not be received until staff has returned to standard working arrangements. If you would like assistance completing your TDM plan, requesting an extension, or making a payment please contact TDMPlans@santamonica.gov. To learn more about transportation resources for Santa Monica businesses, contact the GoSaMo Transportation Management Organization.
Rent Control Public Counter
The Rent Control public counter is closed. Service will continue at 310-458-8751 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utility billing, business license and treasury
- Pay your utility bill online.
- Business license online services. For business license questions, please call 310-458-8745 or email Business.License@smgov.net
- For other types of tax payments or Treasury-related inquiries, call the number below or email Treasury@smgov.net
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
Don’t hesitate to call 311 or email email@example.com for assistance.