The LA County Department of Public Health is the lead agency on the COVID-19 public health emergency and sets the timeline for reopening businesses by sector, not the City. Everyone should visit the County's website for up-to-the-minute updates at: www.covid19.lacounty.gov/recovery
Resources and information about local economic recovery can be found at santamonica.gov/economicrecovery
Every Santa Monica business is required to adhere to the latest County public health requirements for reopening their sector, which are posted at publichealth.lacounty.gov/coronavirus
Essential businesses have always been able to operate during the public health emergency. For a comprehensive list of “essential” sectors, refer to the County’s Safer at Home Business FAQs. Customers are advised to call ahead to ensure the business they want to visit is open.
City Facility Reopenings
A number of City facilities will begin to reopen with restrictions on a rolling basis . City staff need time to make facility improvements to ensure a safe reopen for the community . W e are also working to make necessary changes to programming due to modified operating hours , staff reduc tions, social distancing, and infection control guidance .
Please follow all posted health guidance if you visit or participate in:
- Public Safety Facility
- Annenberg Community Beach House. Details and Info
- Splash pads
- Main Library Details and Info
- Ocean Park Library (Self Service Only) Details and Info
- Outdoor Basketball Courts in City parks. Details and Info
- Volleyball Courts. Details and Info
- Santa Monica State Beach
- Beach Bike Path
- Ocean Front Walk
- Tennis Courts Details and Info
- The Cove Skatepark Details and Info
- Santa Monica Beach parking lots - see "Parking" section below.
- Community gardens
- Santa Monica Pier
- Muscle Beach
- Park Fitness Equipment
- Swim Center. Details and Info
- Community recreation classes Details and Info
- Youth Sports Field Reservations and Permits. Details and Info
- Reed Park and Ocean Park Tennis Offices Details and Info
- GoSaMo Center public counter (partial reopening; Big Blue Bus public counter now open Monday - Thursday under modified hours, but parking operations remains closed until further notice).
Council, Commissions & Public Meeting Changes
City Council is meeting every other Tuesday via teleconference. For more information, visit www.smgov.net/council
- Tuesday, June 22 – City Council returns to chambers
In December 2020, through a supplement to Santa Monica’s local COVID-19 emergency, Boards and Commissions were invited to resume their meetings through teleconference on a quarterly basis through June 2021. Status update and upcoming meetings>
Youth Program Reopenings
City of Santa Monica’s out of school programs are open with limited capacity to ensure safety for the community. City staff are working to make necessary changes to programming due to modified operating hours, staff reductions, social distancing, and infection control guidance.
- For CREST, visit smgov.net/crest
- For the Police Activities League, visit smpal.org
- For programs at Virginia Avenue Park, visit smgov.net/vapark
Reopening is subject to change based on the County of Los Angeles Public Health orders and guidelines.
Animal Control and Animal Shelter
Updated information about the Animal Control Section can be found at santamonicapd.org.
- BBB customers may visit this website, call 310-451-5444, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- MODE members may visit this website, call 310-458-MODE (6633), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- BBB and MODE customers may continue to reach us via Santa Monica Works at smgov.net/santamonicaworks
Building and Safety
Public Permit Counter services are available in-person Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m., except Mobility services. > Make appointments here
- Plan review, permitting and inspections continue as normal. Staff will facilitate the intake of permit applications and issuance of building permits digitally through email and phone throughout the City Hall closure.
- Passport services will resume on July 12. To book an appointment, visit smgov.net/passports.
- Please drop off any items related to lobbyist registrations, claims, subpoenas, or lawsuits at the Public Safety Facility front desk (333 Olympic Drive) until the office re-opens on July 12th.
- For Public Records requests, please visit the Public Records request website
- Our priority is enforcing the State, County and Local emergency orders including business closures and operations and physical distancing. Code Enforcement is also responsible for responding to emergencies that are life safety and health safety.
- Code Enforcement's call center is staffed Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm to take complaints from the public that fit into these categories. The number is 310-458-4984 and email is email@example.com.
- Voucher holders who need assistance should contact their housing specialist via email or leave a voicemail on their extension (or email firstname.lastname@example.org). All voucher holders will receive a letter in the mail about signing up for AssistanceCheck, and should follow the instructions in the letter.
- Routine recertification inspections have been canceled.
- All other inquiries should be directed to email@example.com. For those without access to email, please call 310-458-8740 and press 0 to leave a voicemail (we will respond to voicemails as quickly as possible but callers should expect delays).
For parking related questions, click here.
All CHE Permit Services Center public counters: Monday and Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. This includes mobility, civil engineering/public works, building & safety, zoning consultation/general planning questions, business license, performers permits, tax payments, and utility billing.
- To schedule an appointment, visit https://checkin.smgov.net/qmaticwebbooking/#/ on the web or your mobile device and follow the prompts to select a service date and time. For more information, including instructions for a safe experience when you visit the public counter, visit https://www.smgov.net/Departments/PCD/Permits/Permit-Services-Center .
- The public counters have been operational in a virtual environment since the beginning of the pandemic and will continue to be available if you prefer to do your business remotely. For more information about the services offered online, please visit: https://www.smgov.net/Departments/PCD/Virtual-Services/Virtual-Services/.
- For general questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. This email address will be monitored throughout the day and a planner will respond within 24 hours.
- The Mobility Division is now able to accept applications and issue all permits remotely with modified procedures, including Oversize Load Permits, Temporary No Parking Signs (TNPS), Temporary Traffic Control Plans (TTCP), & Roadway Closure Permits. Please email us at email@example.com for service. The account is monitored daily from 8 am to 5 pm, except for Saturdays, Sundays and alternate Fridays.
- Emission Reduction Plans should only be submitted using the CityGrows portal. Any plans or payments mailed to City offices may not be received until staff has returned to standard working arrangements. If you would like assistance completing your TDM plan, requesting an extension, or making a payment please contact TDMPlans@santamonica.gov. To learn more about transportation resources for Santa Monica businesses, contact the GoSaMo Transportation Management Organization.
The Rent Control public counter reopened in Suite 202 at City Hall. Services will continue remotely via phone and email. Walk-ins are welcome during the hours below. Appointments are recommended to avoid overcrowding and longer wait times. Please enter through the City Hall East entrance on Olympic Blvd.
- Public counter : Monday to Thursday 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Alternate Fridays 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Telephone: Monday to Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Alternate Fridays 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Messages left during lunchtime or afterhours will be returned as soon as possible.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Utility billing, business license and treasury
- Pay your utility bill online.
- Business license online services. For business license questions, please call 310-458-8745 or email Business.License@smgov.net
- For other types of tax payments or Treasury-related inquiries, call the number below or email Treasury@smgov.net
City Facility Closures
The LA County Department of Public Health has issued public health guidance impacting the following closures. Check back for regular updates:
- Public access to Camera Obscura Art Lab. Open only to artist studio residency candidates with restrictions based on LA County Public Health Order. Details and Info
- Clover Park office
- Housing Office
- Santa Monica Public Library Pico and Montana Ave branches (book returns and curbside service available)
- Memorial Park buildings
- Miles Memorial Playhouse
- Park-based meeting rooms at Douglas, Euclid, Joslyn, Marine Park, and Reed Park.
- Virginia Avenue Park buildings