COVID-19 questions? Contact us at Santa Monica’s hotline, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 310-458-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Reopening Guidelines
Indoor Operations, including Indoor Dining, must close immediately per Governor's Orders
Effective immediately (7/1), restaurants, wineries and tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos, museums, and cardrooms must close, or move their operations outdoors. Bars must close ALL operations.
Restaurants may continue pick-up/takeout.
Reopenings to follow State of California and LA County Health Officer Orders
The timeline for reopening Santa Monica businesses will align with Los Angeles County and the State of California. Where the two conflict, the City will follow whichever guidance is stricter. The County still encourages people to continue to telework as much as possible. Read more.
Reopening & Occupancy Guidelines
Every business must follow LA County’s public health reopening protocols for their sector. For your convenience, you will find links to the protocols for the most common business types in Santa Monica. This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
The County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health has approved specific businesses to re-open in accordance with the Health Officer Orders. To assist local businesses with re-opening, the City of Santa Monica will be issuing local guidance for businesses who are required to re-open at a limited capacity. The local guidance will be aligned with the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health and will specifically apply to retail establishments, restaurants, and gyms.
For all other County of Public Health COVID-19 documents and protocols, visit http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/coronavirus/.
>> Jump below for optional signage and floor decals you can print as part of implementing your social distancing protocol.
County Public Health Protocols for Reopening
Protocol for Social Distancing - Mandatory for all businesses in LA County. This must be completed and posted at/near your main entrance.
Industry-Specific Reopening Protocols
- Car Dealerships
- Warehousing, Manufacturing, Logistics
- Office-Based Worksites
- Shopping Center Operators
- Places of Worship
- Hair Salons and Barber Shops (but not spas or nail salons)
- Restaurants Opening for On-Site Dining | Guidance for Ventilation inside Restaurants (NOTE: Governor Newsom ordered the closure of indoor dining on July 1)
- Shopping Center Operators
Beginning June 12, the following sectors may reopen. Click here for highlights.
- Gyms and fitness facilities
- Professional sports without live audiences
- Day camps
- Museums, galleries, zoos and aquariums (Outdoors too) (NOTE: Governor Newsom ordered the closure of museums and zoos on July 1)
- Campgrounds, RV parks and outdoor recreation
- Music, film and television production
- Hotels, lodging and short-term rentals for tourism and individual travel
Beginning June 19, the following sectors may reopen. Click here for highlights.
- Bars, Winery, and Brewery Rooms (NOTE: Governor Newsom ordered the closure of these businesses on June 28)
- Personal Care (includes nail servies, massage services, esthetician, skin care, electrolysis, cosmotology services, tattoo and piercing services)
If your sector does not have Countywide guidance yet, you can plan ahead by studying the Statewide industry guidance to reduce risk
Plastic Bag Ban Resumes
The City’s plastic bag ban will resume on July 1, 2020. This means customers can resume bringing reusable bags when making essential trips. >>Learn more.
Printables & Applications
Created in collaboration with City partners. Includes: Signage for curbside pickup and health rules; floor decals, graphics for email, web, and social media
>>Review the Santa Monica Cares Program Overview and Guidelines. Includes copy you can use.
County of Los Angeles. COVID-19 public health signage
LA County has helpful COVID-19 related signage and flyers translated into many languages on a wide range of topics, including handwashing, wearing cloth face coverings, and physical distancing. Find the files at publichealth.lacounty.gov/coronavirus.
10-Minute Restaurant Food Pickup & Delivery Zones
Convert one metered spaces into short-term pickup zones. Signage is good through June 31, 2020.
Temporary Use of Sidewalks, Parking Spaces, and Private Outdoor Spaces for Extra Outdoor Area
Apply now online! Public sidewalks, the Main Street parking lane, portions of the Pier and Third Street Promenade, convert on-street parking spaces into parklets, and private outdoor space for outdoor business activity for no fee (free) through September 7, 2020,
- Advise on telecommuting and new employee transportation needs
Small Business Resource Guides
- Los Angeles Small Business Development Center (LA SBDC) - COVID-19 Response Guide
- Provides overview of local, state, and federal loan programs
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) - COVID-19 Guidance & Loan Resources
El Camino College Small Business Development Center
Need some hand holding?
Contact our local Small Business Development Center at El Camino College SBDC for free advice/support in applying for funding support.
Buy Local Santa Monica
Free and open to businesses that are physically based in Santa Monica with a valid City of Santa Monica business license. Upon joining, your businesses will receive free marketing and promotional assistance, training and networking opportunities, technical assistance, and more.
Tag @BuyLocalSM for some extra help in sharing/retweeting posts about your business on social media.
Connect with Local Business Improvement Districts (BIDS)
Now more than ever, your local BIDs and community business partners are an integral source of hyperlocal promotional support.
- Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Santa Monica
- Pico Improvement Organization
- Main Street Santa Monica
- Montana Avenue Merchants Association
- Santa Monica Pier Corporation
- Santa Monica Travel & Tourism