The Main Street Al Fresco Project reimagines the way we use our streets, sidewalks, and curbside space to better support small businesses and active mobility. In partnership with the Main St Business Improvement Association and Ocean Park Association, the City repurposed travel lanes and converted parking spaces to allow businesses to temporarily launch outdoor dining, shopping, and recreation along the public right-of-way during the COVID-19 pandemic. From Pico Blvd to Pier Ave sidewalk extensions, parklets, private parking lots, and curb use were transformed as part of the City’s economic recovery efforts to safely reopen Santa Monica.
For four weekends this summer, two blocks of Main Street will become a pedestrian plaza where the Santa Monica community can safely enjoy al fresco dining, family-friendly activities, and other fun experiences with local businesses. Sharing an Open Main Street, builds on the successful Al Fresco sidewalk dining and parklet project.
Upcoming - Sharing an Open Main Street is September 18-19
Join the community one weekend a month this summer and fall when two blocks of Main Street will be transformed into a pedestrian plaza where the community can enjoy al fresco dining, reconnect with friends, shop, and have fun in the street! Everyone is encouraged to walk, bike, or bus down to Main Street and if you plan to eat, reservations are strongly encouraged.
Know before you go:
- Where is it – Main Street between Hill Street & Kinney Street
- When is it - July 24 - 25 | August 21 – 22 | September 18 – 19 | October 16 – 17. Businesses will operate with normal hours.
- Detours - North-south traffic including buses will be detoured to Neilson Way. Temporary bus stops will be placed outside of the pedestrian zone to serve riders.
- Parking - Parking is available in the public lots west of Main Street and, after 8 p.m. on the west side of Neilson Way. Additional drop zones for shared e-bikes and scooters will be provided to make arrival and departure even easier! If you're riding your own bike, look out for our bike racks.
The "Popup Park" at Main & Ashland will host the following activities:
- Saturday, 9/18
- Fitness: 10AM Platinum Pilates | 11AM Rowhouse | 1PM Ballet Folklorico | 1:30 PM Salsa Dancing | 2PM Salsa Lesson
- Music: 11AM Jerry August | 12PM Dave & Ronny | 1PM Bee Walkers | 3PM Old Corn Lickers | 4PM Mocha Chai | 6PM Nick Kennerly | 8PM Jeneesha
- Kids Korner by Pump Station & Nurtury: 11AM-4PM Super Soccer Stars | 11-11:30AM Books & Cookies Musical Story Time | 3-5PM Macaroni Kids
- Sunday, 9/19
- Fitness: 11AM The Core Expert, Jessica Schatz | 12PM Ritual Gym HIIT Fitness | 2PM Circuit Works
- Music: 10AM J. Maceo | 11AM Nick Kennerly | 1PM Westside Indie | 2PM Voodoo Dadyo | 3PM Old Corn Lickers | 4PM Julian McClanahan | 6PM Christopher Hawley
- Kids Korner by Pump Station & Nurtury: 11AM-4PM Super Soccer Stars | 11-11:30AM Musicwith Kira | 3-5PM Macaroni Kids
- Other Activities
- Rock Climbing Wall
- Pet Popup
- Arts and Crats with Ten Women Gallery
- Community Chalking
- Dulce Vida Tequila Tastings at Ashland Hill
Above: Diagram shows extent of Main Street to be converted to a pedestrian plaza for four weekends over the summer.
Above: Diagram shows planned detour route, temporary bus stops, and parking.
- Sign Up and Learn More About Our Mobility Projects
- Main Street Business Improvement Association – New Streetcape
- Santa Monica Economic Recovery
- Permit for Temporary Use of Sidewalks, Parking Spaces, and Private Outdoor Spaces for Extra Outdoor Area