City of Santa Monica Housing Authority to Accept Applications for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
January 23, 2017
SANTA MONICA, CA – One week from tomorrow, the City of Santa Monica Housing Authority (SMHA) will accept applications for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 (Pacific Standard Time) from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Interested community members are encouraged to have necessary information ready and to review frequently asked questions prior to the 12-hour application window.
Applications will be available in English and Spanish and are accessible online via computer, tablet, or smartphone at housinglist.smgov.net.
If you are currently on the SMHA wait list, you will need to reapply as the existing wait list will be eliminated and 500 priority households will make up the new list. Priority households are those who:
- Live or work in Santa Monica
- Will be/have been displaced from housing in Santa Monica due to the Ellis Act, owner-occupancy, code enforcement, disaster (fire, flood, earthquake, etc.) or domestic violence; or
Applicants fitting one of the priorities above will be further prioritized if a member of the household is:
- A veteran
- Either elderly, living with a disability, employed full time, or the family has minor children in Santa Monica schools
- More than half of the total household income is paid toward rent and not already in subsidized housing
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program provides federal rental subsidies to low-income families to help pay for rental housing costs. Federal income limits for the program are based on the gross annual income of all household members and restricted to $30,400 for a 1-person household, $34,750 for a 2-person household, $39,100 for a 3-person household, $43,400 for a 4-person household, and $46,900 for a 5-person household.
Housing Authority staff will be available at two public locations to provide assistance:
- Tuesday, January 31, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Santa Monica Pico Branch Library, Annex Community Meeting Facility, 2201 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405
- Tuesday, January 31, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Teen Center at Virginia Avenue Park, 2200 Virginia Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404
For persons who require reasonable accommodation or language assistance, please call (310) 458-2232 at least three days in advance.
Local social service providers will be available to assist seniors, disabled, homeless and persons with access and functional needs at the following locations:
Westside Center for Independent Living
12901 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
By appointment only
Persons with disabilities only
The People Concern (TPC – formerly known as OPCC)
8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
OPCC clients only
St. Joseph Center
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
St. Joseph clients only
Step Up on Second
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Step Up clients only
8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Chrysalis clients only
For further information regarding the application process and for a list of frequently asked questions, please visit, housinglist.smgov.net.