Big Blue Bus Hosts Public Hearing on Proposed Fare Adjustments
Join Us on Tuesday, August 1 from 6-7:30pm
July 25, 2017 10:00 AM
SANTA MONICA, CA – Big Blue Bus (BBB) will hold a Public Hearing on Tuesday, August 1st from 6-7:
In 2015, BBB initiated a strategic campaign aimed at reducing cash boardings across its system by encouraging more customers to use prepaid fare media, TAP cards, and mobile ticketing in an effort to:
- Speed up travel time and reduce stop dwell time (the time the bus spends at a scheduled stop to board and alight customers).
- Provide customers more flexibility in the way they pay fares.
- Provide more efficiencies for counting cash revenue.
The next phase of BBB’s cashless boarding strategy includes a proposal to adjust fares, including the following revisions:
- Reduction of the Regular one-way cash fare from $1.25 to $1.10 when a customer uses TAP to pay their fare;
- Introduction of a new Annual Pass for a sale price of $500, a $100 savings;
- Introduction of Blue to Business – BBB's Employer Annual Pass Program;
- Discontinuation of single-use tokens and introduction of a new TAP-enabled 1-Ride Pass as its replacement;
- No changes to Senior, Disabled and Medicare cash fares and passes;
- Requirement for Personal Care Assistants traveling with ACCESS certified riders to pay a fare, creating greater fare equity among all riders; and
- All other pass prices remain the same.
See details of this proposal at www.bigbluebus.com.
“Continuing our efforts to understand customer needs and attracting new customers will be critical to our success in providing outstanding service to the City and the Westside. Introducing Blue to Business and the affordability of an Annual Pass, in addition to discounting our cash fare when prepaid on TAP, provides more options
Customers who are unable to attend the meeting and would like to submit feedback are encouraged to do so via GO by visiting www.smgov.net/go and selecting the “Fare Adjustment Feedback” category. BBB will review all comments submitted during the comment period until August 12, 2017. After the public hearing, adjustments to the proposal may be made based on public feedback prior to submitting to the City Council for consideration and approval.
Getting to the Hearing
Ride BBB Routes 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 18, Rapid 3, Rapid 7, or Rapid 10 or Metro Expo Line or Metro bus Routes 4, 20, 33, 534, 704, 720 or 733 to the meeting. If you need to drive, parking is available in the library garage (enter on 7th St. just north of Santa Monica Blvd.).
This venue is ADA-accessible. Disability and translation accommodation requests should be made at least three days prior to the meeting by calling 310.458.1975, ext. 5541. All written materials are available in alternate formats upon request.
About Big Blue Bus
Big Blue Bus operates a fleet of 200 vehicles transporting more than 54,000 customers daily across a 58 square mile service area. Nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to a cleaner environment, the entire fleet operates on alternative fuels, including renewable natural gas (RNG), a form of liquefied and compressed natural gas (LNG/CNG), which helps cut emissions by up to 90 percent. Serving Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area since 1928, Big Blue Bus has won numerous awards for its marketing, customer service, safety, and efficiency.