Santa Monica Pier Bridge Replacement Project: Public Meeting January 10
Draft Environmental Impact Report comments due February 13
December 27, 2017
Update Feb. 6: The comment period for the Pier Bridge Project has been extended to March 15.
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – The City of Santa Monica, in cooperation with Caltrans, is proposing to reconstruct the Santa Monica Pier Bridge to meet current seismic and safety standards. There are several upcoming opportunities to weigh in on the Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment (EIR/EA) for the proposed project, including a public meeting on Wednesday, January 10.
The Pier Bridge Replacement Project would replace the Santa Monica Pier Bridge with a single bridge or two separate bridges. The following three alternatives were evaluated in the environmental report:
- Alternative 1 would replace the existing bridge with a new, wider bridge in the same location and construct a temporary bridge on Moss Avenue to maintain vehicle access to the Pier during construction.
- Alternative 2 would be the same replacement bridge as proposed in Alternative 1; however, temporary vehicular access to the Pier deck during construction would be via a temporary vehicle ramp from Parking Lot 1 North.
- Alternative 3 would construct two new permanent bridges. The existing bridge would be replaced with a new bridge in the same location for mainly pedestrian and bicycle use. Permanent vehicle access to the Pier would be via the second new permanent bridge at the Moss Avenue entrance.
The public is invited to learn more about these three alternatives and next steps in the process, as well as weigh in through the following opportunities:
- Attend a public meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at Ken Edwards Center, 1527 4th St, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
- Review the material online at smgov.net/smpierbridge, at all Santa Monica libraries and at the Caltrans District 7 office, 100 S. Main St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.
- Submit comments by email at email@example.com or by mail addressed to:
Selim Eren, P.E., Civil Engineer
City of Santa Monica, Civil Engineering Division
1437 4th St., Suite 300
Santa Monica, CA 90401
The deadline for public comments on the EIR/EA is 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, February 13, 2018. Comments submitted via mail must be postmarked by February 13, 2018.