Groundbreaking Celebration for Santa Monica's New Fire Station 1
Come learn about the station and enjoy food and activities for all ages
May 30, 2018
When: Saturday, June 2, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Where: 10 a.m. – Current Fire Station 1 for crafts with the firefighters, 1444 7th Street
11 a.m. – Site of new Fire Station 1 for the program and celebration, 1337 7th Street
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – Join the City of Santa Monica and the Santa Monice Fire Department in celebrating the groundbreaking for the new Fire Station 1. Construction will soon begin on the 28,000 square-foot facility that will provide essential life-saving services to the Downtown area and entire community. The project commencement is ten years in the making and we want the entire community to come out and mark the occasion.
The 11 a.m. program will include remarks from Mayor Ted Winterer, Chief Bill Walker, Deputy Chief Tom Clemo, and City Architect Rebecca Abano. From there, guests and children are invited to enjoy activities, including:
- A virtual reality tour of the future home of Santa Monica’s busiest station
- Fire apparatus and trucks available to explore
- Arts and crafts with firefighters (families should start at the current station at 10 a.m. to help create the artwork that will be the backdrop for the 11 a.m. program!)
- Food and drinks
- Photo booth fun in front of a fire truck
- Important emergency preparedness information and sidewalk CPR
Fire Station 1 serves the downtown core and is Santa Monica’s most active station with 8,948 calls for service a day in Fiscal Year 2016/17. The new station will be seismically sound and will accommodate the personnel and equipment needs of the department. FS 1 houses SMFD’s largest equipment, including its ladder truck, which will be on display for the groundbreaking. Here are other essential features of the new station:
- Two-story facility that spans over 28,000 square feet
- Able to remain operational after a major disaster, allowing fire personnel to continue providing vital services to the public
- Bathrooms and 20 dormitories to accommodate both male and female firefighters
- Community room available to the public to reserve for use
- Rooftop solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity, which will cut down on energy costs
- The building will achieve LEED V4 certification to ensure the project is designed and constructed to the highest level of sustainability
For more information and to RSVP, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/santa-monica-fire-department-new-fire-station-1-groundbreaking-ceremony-tickets-46172419951.