COVID-19: For the latest local coronavirus information, visit santamonica.gov/coronavirus. Questions? Call 310-458-8400 or email email@example.com, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily. Please leave 9-1-1 open for emergency calls to help ensure emergency phone lines are used for life threatening circumstances only.
City of Santa Monica Issues Emergency Order for Temporary Business Closures to the Public the Slow the Spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 16, 2020
UPDATE: All orders associated with the local COVID-19 emergency have been extended to April 30, 2020. All local emergency orders are available at santamonica.gov/coronavirus.
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – Today, effective at noon, City of Santa Monica issued a supplement to the local emergency proclamation that requires two week closure of the following businesses:
- All bars and nightclubs that do not serve food will be closed to the public.
- Any bars or nightclubs that serve food may remain open only for purposes of continuing to prepare and offer food to customers via delivery service or to be picked up. Dine-in food service is prohibited.
- All restaurants and retail food facilities are prohibited from serving food for consumption on premises. Restaurants and retail food facilities may continue to operate for purposes of preparing and offering food to customers via delivery service, to be picked up or for drive-thru. For those establishments offering food pick-up options, proprietors are directed to establish social distancing practices for those patrons in the queue for pick-up.
- The following are exempt from this Order: (i) cafeterias, commissaries, and restaurants located within hospitals, nursing homes, or similar facilities; (ii) grocery stores; (iii) pharmacies; and (iv) food banks.
- Trucks and other vehicles that deliver grocery items to grocery stores, when such items are to be made available for sale to the public, are exempt from having to comply with any City rules and regulations that limit the hours for such deliveries, including, without limitation, Section 9.28.080 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- All movie theaters, live performance venues, bowling alleys and arcades will be closed to the public.
- All gyms and fitness centers will be closed to the public.
- All businesses providing physical health and beauty services, including spas, hair salons, massage parlors, and nail salons, that do not provide medical care or services that supplement medical care as directed by medical professionals will be closed to the public.
“This virus knows no boundaries. Cities working together is the way to have the most impact and the least confusion”, said City Manager Rick Cole. “Stay calm, stay informed, and stay healthy! We will work together to get through this.”
The Order will go into effect at noon on March 16, 2020, through March 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.