Annual Black History Greens Festival Goes Online for 2021
February 17, 2021 4:01 PM
Join the City of Santa Monica’s Virginia Avenue Park and the Parent Connection Group as they celebrate Black History Month with the annual Greens Festival held online on Saturday, February 27, 2021, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Black History Greens Festival online event honors Black Pioneers of Science and Invention and will feature guest speakers, book readings, science activities, greens cooking, and more.
The program will include:
- Musical performance performed by Ebony Alexander
- Special presentation by the award-winning rocket scientist, author, and TED speaker, Olympia LePoint, who will share insights from her newest book, Answers Unleashed II, followed by Q&A
- Healing dance workshop with Daniella Kyle
- Greens cook-a-long with Chef Ken McKinney and recipe swap
- Book reading with local hero Tony Murphy and youth Branden Banks of Black Women in Science by PhD Kimberly Brown Pellum
- Tour of the SMPD forensics lab and demonstration with Lisa Jackson-Robinson, forensic administrator
Register early to receive a complimentary PCG Black History Greens Festival family kit. Supplies are limited with one per household on a first come, first served basis. Kits will be available for pick up from Virginia Avenue Park, Park Center Building, 2200 Virginia Avenue, Santa Monica on Thursday, February 25 and Friday, February 26 from 12 noon to 5 pm. Kits include a copy of Black Women in Science, supplies for a forensics experiment, and more!
For more information call 310-458-8688 or visit www.smgov.net/vapark