May 2, 2022 3:02 PM
This May, the City of Santa Monica invites the public to celebrate the diverse cultures and contributions of the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community with events ranging from a virtual cooking demonstration to a movie screening to cultural performances. Historic Santa Monica City Hall will be lit up in red, gold, blue and green to represent the colors commonly shared by the flags of over 30 AAPI countries. The monthlong celebration is an effort of the Coalition of Asian & Pacific Employees of Santa Monica (CAPE SM), a group of City of Santa Monica staff. AAPI Heritage Month Events include:
- May 2, Virtual cooking demonstration with Ma’am’s International Foods: Watch Ma’am prepare three popular Thai dishes on the City’s YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/Citytv16santamonica
- May 4, AAPI Take & Make Craft Kits: Organized by CAPE SM and available at the Main Library Youth Services desk, Pico Branch, or Montana Branch while supplies last.
- May 10, no earlier than 6:30 p.m., Council Proclamation of AAPI Heritage Month: The City Council will issue a proclamation to CAPE SM. Watch in-person at City Hall or view the livestream on the City’s YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/Citytv16santamonica
- May 12, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m., Music Center on Tour presents Korean Classical Music and Dance Co.: Join us at the Santa Monica Main Library, Central Courtyard for this splendidly costumed ensemble that boasts a rich and varied repertoire of exciting dances presented with the grace and elegance characteristic of the ancient traditional dance form. The performance also includes traditional music played on authentic Far Eastern instruments. For all ages with seating on a first-come basis.
- May 26, 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m., Rhythm and Spice: AAPI Heritage Month Celebration presented by CAPE SM: Join us at beautiful Ken Genser Square at City Hall where you can grab lunch from partner AAPI small businesses while watching cultural performances. Featured food trucks will be Holey Grail Donuts, Shake Ramen, StopBye Café, and White Rabbit. Performances will be by Santa Monica College Dance Department students, Prota Taiko, and Tupua Productions.
- May 27, 7 - 9:30 p.m., Inside Out Movie Screening: Join us at Virginia Avenue Park, 2200 Virginia Ave., for a screening of Pixar’s Inside Out. Come early to explore community resources and enjoy a free chair massage sponsored by CAPE SM. Attendees are welcome to bring a picnic dinner to enjoy before the movie. Attendees are also encouraged to dress warmly and bring picnic blankets and/or low chairs.
View the comprehensive list of events organized by the CAPE SM in addition to several other local events, including the 4-Part Virtual Dialogues with the Universal Human Rights Initiative co-hosted by the Santa Monica and Brookline Taiwanese chambers of commerce every Friday in May, at santamonica.gov/blog/aapi-heritage-month.
Public Information Coordinator