August 18, 2022 8:00 PM
The Santa Monica Police Department will have extra officers on patrol Friday, August 19th from 5am to 4pm looking specifically for violations made by drivers and motorcycle riders.
The top primary crash factors for motorcycles are unsafe speed, improper turning, right-of-way violations, driving under the influence and unsafe lane changes. Speeding is the most common, accounting for nearly a third of all crashes in the state.
Here are a few safety tips for Motorcyclists:
1. Always wear a DOT compliant helmet and protective gear.
2. Consider adding reflective tape to make it easier for other drivers to see you.
3. Always keep your lights on, even during the day.
4. Don’t assume drivers see you: signal well in advance before changing lanes and watch for turning vehicles.
5. Although lane splitting is legal, the practice is not encouraged at high speeds in free-flowing traffic.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.