All private haulers must obtain a Private Hauler Permit prior to providing solid waste hauling services or source-separated recycling handing services within the City of Santa Monica, per Municipal Code section 5.08.410.
If you are interested in becoming a private hauler in the City, please follow the steps below to obtain a Private Hauler Permit. New private haulers may apply for a permit at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. However, the permit fee will not be prorated.
Continue the Process:
Follow the steps below:
Email To Get Your Application+ -
Email email@example.com to ensure you get the latest version of the renewal packet.
Gather Documents and Prepare your Application+ -
1. Complete the one page Private Hauler Permit Application
2. Complete the last page of the Private Hauler Permit Regulations.
3. To apply for your business license, click here.
4. Prepare your insurance documents, to include Auto, General Commercial Liability, and Worker's Compensation, that provide for $1,000,000 for each incident, and list the City of Santa Monica plus the address in the certificate holder's box.
Pay the Permit Fee and Performance Security Deposit+ -
For NEW private hauler applications, make one payment for the Annual Permit Fee, made out to the City of Santa Monica. No cash is accepted. The current fee for the period of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024 is $564.97.
Also, make one payment for the refundable, one-time performance security deposit (no bonds or cash are accepted) made out to the City of Santa Monica, in the amount of:
1. $2,000 for refuse/demolition contractors; or
2. $1,000 for source-separated recyclable contractors
3. If the private hauler performs both activities, only the $2,000 amount will apply.
For EXISTING private haulers needing to renew their permit, make one payment for the Annual Permit Fee, made out to the City of Santa Monica. No cash is accepted. The current fee for the period of July 1, 2023 through June 30,2024 is $564.97.
Initiate Operations+ -
Once you have been notified by City staff that your application has been approved, you may begin private hauler activities.
- (310) 458-2246, Option 3