For children under age 12, both the child and the parent/guardian must be present at the time of application, and the parent/guardian must present the required documents (see below). Find more information for parents in the Parent Handout (version en español).
Continue the Process:
Visit the Library+ -
Visit the Santa Monica Public Library during operating hours with your completed application, valid photo ID, and proof of residence.
Present a Valid Photo ID and Proof of Residence+ -
Show the required documents. Expired documents are not accepted. Photocopies or photographs of IDs are not accepted. Electronic versions of address verification documents are acceptable.
One primary valid document from the list:
- California ID with current address
- Consular card with current address
- Middle school or high school photo ID
Or two alternative valid documents, one from each of the following lists:
Alternative photo ID:
- California ID without current address
- Out-of-state Photo ID
- Government-issued Passport
- Government-issued Permanent US Resident Card (Green Card)
- Consular card without current address
- Military Photo ID
- College or university Photo ID
Alternative address verification:
- Current auto registration
- Proof of current auto insurance
- Utility bill issued within the past 90 days
- Bank statement issued within the past 90 days
- Credit card bill issued within the past 90 days
- Rent receipt issued within the past 90 days
- A current lease issued within the last year
- Valid Voter registration card or pre-printed voter balloting materials
Use Your New Library Card+ -
Use your new library card to borrow items, access our Internet computers, and more!