California residents may apply for a Santa Monica Public Library card at the Main Library, Montana Branch, or Pico Branch during open hours. Qualified Los Angeles County residents may apply for a library card online.
For children under age 12, both the child and the parent/guardian must be present at the time of application, and the parent/guardian must present the required documents (see below). Find more information for parents in the Parent Handout (version en español).
Continue the Process:
Complete the Application+ -
Complete the application form prior to or when you arrive at a Santa Monica Public Library location.
Present Application, Photo ID and Proof of Residence+ -
Show the required documents. Expired documents are not accepted. Photocopies or photographs of IDs are not accepted. Electronic versions of address verification documents are acceptable.
One primary valid document from the list:
- California ID with current address
- Consular card with current address
- Middle school or high school photo ID
Or two alternative valid documents, one from each of the following lists:
Alternative photo ID:
- California ID without current address
- Out-of-state Photo ID
- Government-issued Passport
- Government-issued Permanent US Resident Card (Green Card)
- Consular card without current address
- Military Photo ID
- College or university Photo ID
Alternative address verification:
- Current auto registration
- Proof of current auto insurance
- Utility bill issued within the past 90 days
- Bank statement issued within the past 90 days
- Credit card bill issued within the past 90 days
- Rent receipt issued within the past 90 days
- A current lease issued within the last year
- Valid Voter registration card or pre-printed voter balloting materials
Residents over the age 18 residing within Los Angeles County may apply for a Santa Monica Public Library card online. For those residing outside of Los Angeles County, or who need to register a family member under the age of 18, please apply for a library card in-person.
Complete the Online Application+ -
Complete the online application form, ensuring all provided information is accurate.
Please note that approval using this form is not guaranteed. We may ask you to visit the Library to provide additional documentation.
Check Your Email+ -
Check the email address you provided in your online application. If approved, you will receive an email with your digital library card number and PIN.