City of Santa Monica Inaugural Poet Laureate Program
Accepting Applications - October 30 through December 18, 2023
The City of Santa Monica announces its inaugural Poet Laureate program and invites Santa Monica residents aged 18 years or older to apply for this two-year honorary position.
The City of Santa Monica, seeking to highlight the City through the literary arts, support the creation of literary works that commemorate the diversity and vibrancy of Santa Monica, and promote arts education, has launched the City of Santa Monica Poet Laureate program.
The Poet Laureate will serve a two-year term and receive an annual stipend of $5,000. Responsibilities for the position include:
- Carrying out activities that engage the public in poetry or literary arts
- Sharing the love of poetry with the community through participation in local events
- Creating an annual original poem celebrating the City of Santa Monica
- Organizing at least one annual poetry-related panel discussion or reading, writing workshop or program as part of the Library’s National Poetry Month programming each April
- Presenting two annual writing workshops or poetry readings at Santa Monica public schools, the Santa Monica Public Library, or other community events
Applications for Poet Laureate are available beginning October 30, 2023, at all Santa Monica Public Library open locations, as well as online, and may be submitted electronically or on paper.
Applicants are required to submit three to five original poems (published or unpublished), a resume, and two letters of recommendation. Completed applications must be submitted by Monday, December 18, 2023 at 8:00 p.m. PST.
The Poet Laureate Review Panel will contact finalists by January 26, 2024 for in-person interviews to take place January 29 - February 2, 2024. The Poet Laureate will be announced at the February 13, 2024 City Council meeting and begin their term on March 1, 2024. The first program will take place in April 2024 in celebration of National Poetry Month.
- (310) 458-8307