To expand the diversity of transportation options in Santa Monica, and address the continued challenges of Share Mobility, Santa Monica City Council directed staff to implement a second Shared Mobility Pilot Program that will run from July 1, 2021 to September 30, 2023. Three private companies are permitted to operate a variety of different mobility devices:
- Spin – 2-wheeled and 3-wheel standup e-scooters
- Veo – 2-wheeled standup e-scooters and Class 2 e-bikes
- Wheels – 2-wheeled sit-down e-scooter
The second pilot program is designed to:
- Offer a variety of shared mobility options.
- Reduce emissions from short trips and connections to transit;
- Ensure use of the Public right-of-way (PROW) benefits public mobility;
- Protect public health and safety;
- Reduce sidewalk, pathway and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) blockages;
- Continue to increase user awareness of safe and legal behaviors for operating devices;
- Ensure operators are responsive to issues;
- Improvement in devices and technologies;
- Maintain flexibility as the industry continues to rapidly evolve;
- Prioritize areas of reliability, affordability, safety and sustainability;
- Create an enforceable framework for managing shared mobility services.
The Pilot Program is facilitated through Administrative Regulations, which provide flexibility to quickly adapt to changing environments and industries and are subject to amendment during the Pilot Program as the City works with Operators to make data-driven decisions to deliver a safe transportation option and define effective solutions to known and identified challenges as the process evolves.
The Shared Mobility Pilot Program participating operators were selected through a selection process established in Chapter 3.21 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code. Click here for more information.
In May 2022, the Department of Transportation released the Shared Mobility Program Update for July 2021-March 2022 which highlights observed trends and progress of the first nine months of this Pilot Program.
- (310) 458-2201 x 5715