Santa Monica is a multimodal community, where more than half of us walk and bike daily, and a third of our students walk to school. Today, with so many mobility options, it’s important to keep the wellbeing of everyone front and center. From supporting infrastructure projects and laws that keep us all safe, to putting our phones down and paying attention to others, we can create a safe and friendly Santa Monica.
One day, one street, one gesture at a time.
Take the Friendly Road is an invitation to take practical steps to care for the wellbeing of everyone, especially when we’re out on the road. This initiative is part of our commitment to Vision Zero, a global movement to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all. Together as a city, we all have a role to play in helping reach zero.
Ready to get started? Follow the links below to view upcoming projects, news, safety tips, and more.
Rules of The Road
- Must be 18+ if you’re renting an e-scooter, or 16+ if you own yours
- Have a license – must have some form of valid ID
- Wear a helmet at all times
- Park respectfully – out of the way and upright
- Ride on the street — not bike paths or sidewalks
- Only half of people survive when hit at 30 mph. Open streets are not an invitation to speed.
- Phones down – no texting
- Make sure to obey all traffic signs and speed limits
- Merge safely and yield to all pedestrians, even at unmarked crosswalks
- Make a complete stop at all stop signs
Grab a Bike
- Ride in bike lanes or with traffic, not on the sidewalk or against traffic
- Use hand signals when turning or merging into traffic
- Walk bikes across crosswalks and on sidewalks
- Wear a helmet
Stroll and Enjoy
- During COVID-19, you no longer need to press the pedestrian request button at signalized intersections. In crowded areas please remember to keep appropriate physical distancing.
- At signalized intersections, cross only when there is a “walk” signal
- Make eye contact with people driving when crossing the street
- Use designated crosswalks and, when available, flashing beacons at select crosswalks