November 3, 2021 11:00 AM
by Allison Ostrovsky
Downbeat 720 is in its twentieth year! The City’s long-running open-mic for high school performers continues online, via Zoom. Students are invited to perform their music, poetry, comedy, or art for participating students and professional artist mentors. Performers will receive positive constructive feedback to help strengthen their performances--offering students a safe and supportive space for self-expression.
Downbeat 720 sessions through the end of the year will be held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the upcoming months: Tuesday, November 9, Thursday, November 23, and Tuesday, December 14. Participants can join at 7 p.m. while DJ Jedi spins music. The open-mic starts at 7:20 pm and runs until 9 p.m.
Participants must register in advance by using the links below. A confirmation email will follow with details on how to join.
The Downbeat Commandments
- Respect yourself, the other artists, and the space.
- All styles and skill levels are embraced.
- Feel free to fall on your face.
- Make sure you’re muted if it’s not your turn.
- Keep your camera off if you’re not ready to go live.
- Use the chat to hype up your fellow performers.
- If you can stay 'til the end, that would be great.
- Put your cell phones on vibrate.
- Bring a new friend every time.
- We love you and in two weeks we'll see you again.
"Downbeat 720 is one of the most magical things I have ever witnessed. It's a space where high school students from all over LA can come and perform their original pieces, sing a cover, read poetry, etc. Everyone was so supportive of each other. It's a place to take risks, to stand onstage and feel comfortable while experimenting and going outside of the comfort zone. It's also a place to meet people who are interested in similar things as you who will compliment your skill sets beautifully." --Owen Thiele, Singer
"Downbeat 720 is the BEST performance lab for teens. I love the positive support they get and the professionalism they learn.” --Ipolani Lott, Mother
Past Downbeat 720 Sessions
Visit youtube.com/downbeat720 for recordings.
Cultural Affairs Supervisor