Building Permits and Plan Review
A building permit
is authorization from the City to allow a permittee to commence the proposed construction, alteration, demolition, or
repair of a building or structure. The plan
review process must be completed, and all applicable City approvals must be
secured, prior to issuance of a building permit to ensure the proposed activity complies with applicable
codes and regulations, including building, zoning, and fire codes. The level of
plan review required for a project depends on the scope of work. All
construction activity authorized by a building permit requires inspection
clearances at various stages of the project prior to completing the project and
receiving final inspection approval.
Plan review for construction projects will fall into one of the following plan review types bulleted below, depending upon the scope of work proposed. Instructions on how to submit for each plan review type are linked below.
- Same-Day Review - for certain minor projects such as reroofs, mechanical installations, facade remodels/repairs that can be reviewed and approved at the public counter
- Plan Review - all other projects that do not qualify for an E-permit or Same-Day Review, or exceed the mechanical/electrical/plumbing plan review thresholds.
Plan Review Resources
- Building Permit Application Types
- Plan Review Minimum Submittal Guide
- Upload and Submittal Standards
- Who Can Pull a Building Permit?
Plan Review Supporting Documents
- Structural Calculations
- Soils Report (for new construction, additions greater than 750 square feet, and certain projects in geohazard zones)
- Title 24 report (including Santa Monica Green Building Provisions for New Buildings, Additions, and Alterations)
- Sound Attenuation Report (for new multi-family residential projects in noise critical zones)
- Construction and Demolition Waste Management Plan, per Public Works Resource Recovery and Recycling requirements
- Green Building
- Formaldehyde Emissions Verification Checklist
- Storm Water Pollution Control Form
- VOC Content Verification Checklist
- Residential Green Building Notes
- Residential Construction Mandatory Checklist
- Residential Plumbing Fixture Flow Rates
- Non-Residential Additions and Alterations Mandatory Checklist
- Non-Residential Green Building Notes
- Non-Residential New Construction Mandatory Checklist
- Non-Residential Plumbing Fixture Flow Rates
- Office of Sustainability and the Environment
Building and Safety 'How Tos'