COVID-19 questions? Contact us at Santa Monica’s hotline, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 310-458-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Riders Guide to Paperless Transfers on TAP
April 25, 2018 9:09 AM
by Lauren Deaderick
Figure 1: taptogo.net website on a smartphone.
In preparation for the switch to paperless transfers on TAP, also called Transfer on 2nd Boarding (TO2B), Big Blue Bus (BBB) created this “Riders Guide to TO2B” to provide customers with information about how to prepare for this upcoming change to transfer payments.
What is TO2B?
Beginning in summer 2018, BBB and the other 23 TAP participating agencies in LA County will begin implementing TO2B. This means that transfers between different public transit agencies (interagency transfers) must be made with a TAP card; paper transfers will no longer be issued.
In addition to the efficiency and cost savings to TAP transit agencies, TO2B offers many benefits to you:
- Lower fare with your TAP card on BBB – regular TAP fare is $1.10, compared to $1.25 cash
- Save the quarters for laundry day, transfer fares are automatically calculated and deducted from your TAP card loaded with Stored Value
- Faster boarding with transfers on TAP cards everyone gets to their destination faster
- Increased transfer window from 2 hours to 2.5 hours
How to Prepare for TO2B
Step 1: Get a TAP card
A TAP card is a durable reusable, smart card that works as your bus pass. It costs $2 and can be purchased at the following locations:
- In-person at TAP vendor locations or Metro Rail Stations
- Online by creating a TAP account
- By phone at (866) TAP-TOGO (827-8646)
Senior, Disabled, and Medicare riders may apply for a free, Reduced Fare TAP card. Check qualifications and application instructions.
- Seniors can attend BBB’s monthly senior workshop at the Ken Edwards Center, held on the first Wednesday of every month at 1 p.m.
- College/Vocational School Students should check with their institutions for TAP card purchasing
- K-12 students’ parents can apply for their children online
Step 2: Load Stored Value onto your TAP card
Stored Value is a specified amount of money that you load onto your card, using cash or credit, debit and prepaid cards. That money can be used to pay for rides, agency passes, and transfer fares. With Stored Value, the fare is automatically calculated and deducted from your account every time you tap.
You can load, manage, and check your Stored Value using the same three ways you purchased your TAP card: in-person, online and by phone.
Step 3: Ride with BBB and Our Transit Partners!
Figure 2: TAP card being used on BBB's mobile validator.
When you board a Big Blue Bus, use your TAP card by tapping the card on the mobile validator located at the front of every bus. A green screen and a positive beep means you are ready to ride! A red screen and negative beep means you need to load your card.
If you have any questions, please call BBB’s customer service Mon - Sat, at (310) 451-5444.