A STATEMENT FROM THE CITY MANAGER: A Follow Up on the Temporary Civic Center Sports Field
May 25, 2016
To Civic Center Sports Field Advocates:
Thank you for participating in last night’s City Council meeting or for sharing your support for field space through emails and letters. Last night, Council earmarked $3.45 million for the construction of the sports field in the Civic Center. Council also approved $200,000 to complete an initial design and feasibility study for the field in the upcoming FY 2016-18 Capital Improvement Project budget.
The Council unanimously expressed their commitment to completion of the project as expeditiously as feasible. Council acknowledged that the City must conduct the proper public reviews with the California Coastal Commission and Santa Monica’s Parks and Recreation and Planning Commission. Council was also cognizant of the need to ensure all environmental remediation is conducted to ensure a safe playing field given a gas station occupied the corner of Pico and 4th at one time.
The Civic Center Sports Field 1.0, as Councilmember O’Connor called it, is now on track, and City Staff are going to move it as quickly as we can, following the necessary roadmap. To keep you up-to-date on project progress, I will provide quarterly updates as part of my report to Council. We are also going to create a webpage where you can go for the latest information on progress, recognizing that construction projects like this are subject to circumstances that are sometimes beyond our control. We will share the link as soon as it is live.
- June 2016 Budget adoption
- July - October 2016 Design contract bid, award, and execution
- October – November 2016 Community outreach
- October 2016 – May 2017 Site parking study (not yet funded) *
- December 2016 – April 2017 Design (schematic design, design development)
- May – July 2017 Regulatory approvals (Planning Commission and Coastal Commission) *
- August – September 2017 Construction documents (plans and specifications)
- September 2017 – Feb. 2018 Plan check and approvals
- March 2018 – July 2018 Construction contract bid, evaluation, and City Council bid award
- August 2018 – August 2019 Construction
I want to thank you for your contribution to the community dialogue that forged consensus on this important community priority. Like so many other worthwhile projects and goals, success flows from partnership, collaboration, focus and tenacity. Together, we can make Santa Monica a city that works for everyone.