City of Santa Monica to Open Colorado Esplanade and Host First Open Streets Event— Coast, Presented by Metro—on June 5th
Colorado Esplanade to open with a ribbon cutting by Santa Monica Mayor Tony Vazquez followed by the kickoff of Coast
June 1, 2016
WHEN: Sunday, June 5, 2016
8:45 a.m. PDT Colorado Esplanade ribbon cutting by Mayor Tony Vazquez
9 a.m. - 3 p.m. PDT Coast, Presented by Metro
WHAT: Coast, presented by Metro, invites everyone to enjoy approximately two miles of car-free streets around the Downtown Santa Monica Expo station on Sunday, June 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. while discovering local food, music, shops, culture, dance, and games along the route.
The Colorado Esplanade will be opened during a ribbon cutting ceremony by Santa Monica Mayor Tony Vazquez and Mayor Pro Tempore Ted Winterer who will provide remarks on the significance of this moment for the City’s future as a sustainable, transit-oriented community focused on wellbeing. The Colorado Esplanade runs from 4th Street to Ocean Avenue, and was designed to connect the Downtown Santa Monica Expo station, Tongva Park, and the Santa Monica Pier, creating a seamless walk or bike ride from the station to the beach. It features 25-foot wide sidewalks with yellow and black wave-like pavers, and yellow poles with string lights that beautifully frame the historic Pier.
"Come to Santa Monica for Coast and experience our city like a local on foot or by bike,” said Santa Monica Mayor Tony Vazquez. “Get here on the new Expo Line or on Big Blue Bus to enjoy a car-free day along two miles of open streets and festivities, including the new Colorado Esplanade, which is sure to become a favorite gathering place in our community."
The City of Santa Monica just launched GoSaMo, an integrated marketing campaign to excite, educate and get those who live and work in Santa Monica to try new mobility options, including Santa Monica’s three new Expo light rail stations, six new Big Blue Bus routes, 500 Breeze Bikes at 75 stations, 107 miles of bikeways, and Zipcar, a car share service with over 30 vehicles in Santa Monica available for as little as $6/hour.
WHERE: Colorado Esplanade ribbon cutting will take place at Colorado Avenue and Main Street. Please show up early as roads will have limited access due to Coast.
Pedestrian and bicycle access for Coast will be provided along Main Street from Marine to Colorado, Colorado from Ocean to 5th Street, and along Ocean from Colorado to Wilshire.
GETTING THERE: Participants are encouraged to use public transit or non-motorized transportation to reach the event. The new bike path along Metro’s Expo route will be open, there are 107 miles of bikeways throughout Santa Monica, and the Marvin Braude Bike Trail that runs along the ocean. You can take any Metro rail line and connect to the Expo line and your bike is allowed on all Metro trains. Take Metro buses, Big Blue Bus, or walk.
- Colorado Esplanade: Grand opening at 8:45 a.m. followed by activities like free bike valet parking, Poem Store, Stickfigure and Contra Tiempo performances.
- Sustainability Zone: Around Tongva Park see upcycled artwork, help make a fifty-foot long train from repurposed materials, and more from the Office of Sustainability and the Environment.
- Culture Zone: Community class demonstrations and Camera Obscura Art Lab.
- Mobility Zone: Free bike repairs, helmet decorating, and all the info and tools you need to try new transportation networks around LA.
- Main Street and Norman Place: Santa Monica Conservancy tours, Farmers Market, and games on the lawn of Ocean Park Library.
- City Zone: Meet City Council, picnic in front of City Hall, play giant chess, Public Works Open House and Buy Local businesses.
- Viver Brasil will do a Bahian Carnival spectacle along Ocean Avenue with drummers, dancers, and Capoeristas.
- Over 60 Santa Monica businesses and organizations are offering specials to celebrate the event. For a complete list, go to buylocalsm.com/coast
GETTING INVOLVED: If you are a local business or organization along the route, the City of Santa Monica encourages you to open your doors and promote specials to Coast participants.
Submit specials through Buy Local Santa Monica. If you have additional questions, you can reach out to 213-365-0605.
Event details: www.smgov.net/coast
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1793157737586057/
Coast promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAr2jFqo44
Coast posters and flyer:
Buy Local Specials: buylocalsm.com/coast
THANKS TO: Coast is presented by Metro in collaboration with the City of Santa Monica. Coast is produced by Community Arts Resources for the City of Santa Monica. Metro awarded the City a $200,000 open streets grant.