City of Santa Monica Seeking Applicants for New We Are Santa Monica Advisory Board
February 19, 2021 11:10 AM
Today, the City of Santa Monica launched the application period for a five-member advisory board focused on the We Are Santa Monica Fund, a donor advised fund (DAF) managed by California Community Foundation (CCF). The Fund was established at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to provide a pathway for the community to donate emergency goods, services, and monetary funds to aid recovery efforts. Consistent with City Council direction, CCF awards donations to eligible non-profits and emergency City services support in four areas, including:
- COVID-19 Emergency Relief for Santa Monica Residents: Donations support efforts to address impacts of COVID-19 on Santa Monica residents including housing insecurity and food insecurity.
- Business Recovery: Donations provide support to efforts aimed at recovery so Santa Monica businesses can continue to serve the community.
- Black Agenda in Santa Monica*: Donations are a vehicle to support the Black Agenda in Santa Monica and citywide efforts to advance racial equity in our community. For general donations made without a support project selected, 10% will be used to implement the Black Agenda in Santa Monica. *At the direction of City Council, this area of support will be expanded for future donations to generate support for additional equity and inclusion efforts in the Santa Monica community.
- Food Pantry at Virginia Avenue Park: Donations help serve those facing food insecurity in the Santa Monica community.
Between November 1 and December 31, 2020, community members contributed $1,153,145 to the We Are Santa Monica Fund. This impressive coming together of our community to support neighbors in need demonstrates the viability of the We Are Santa Monica Fund as a long-term tool to support the desire of community members to give back locally.
“The We Are Santa Monica Fund offers a unique opportunity for members of our community to support one another, with every dollar donated making a difference during these challenging times in the lives of our friends and neighbors,” said Interim City Manager Lane Dilg. “As our efforts expand, we are seeking board members to build upon the success of the fund, encourage continued giving, and lay the foundation for a strong and impactful program.”
The five-member We Are Santa Monica Fund Advisory Board will advise the City Manager and conduct the following duties:
- Establish bylaws for the new advisory board and select a chairperson and officers.
- Share responsibilities for coordinating, planning, and conducting board meetings, including but not limited to handling meeting logistics, agenda planning and preparation, and recording meeting minutes.
- Provide input on allocation of funds to non-profit community partners and community-focused programs and services.
- Enhance community and donor awareness of the Fund, consistent with fundraising restrictions and best practices for donor advisory funds (DAFs).
- Guide the future of the advisory board and evaluate whether to transition from a DAF administered through CCF to an independent 501(c)(3).
Qualifications for the We Are Santa Monica Fund Advisory Board include:
- Extensive knowledge of the Santa Monica community and the needs of its residents and businesses.
- Santa Monica community stakeholder (resident, business owner, or employee of a Santa Monica-based business).
- Expertise in fundraising, non-profit operations and management, government and community relations, finance/investments, legal services, entrepreneurship, or other relevant expertise or unique qualifications that would benefit the Fund.
- Commitment to actively engage in fundraising efforts.
- Must not currently be serving on a City of Santa Monica appointed or elected board, commission, or task force. or the City Council.
- Must not currently be employed by the City of Santa Monica, with the exception of staff appointed to the advisory board in an ex officio capacity.
Individuals interested in serving on the We Are Santa Monica Fund Advisory Board should complete the online application at www.santamonica.gov/we-are-santa-monica-advisory-board no later than March 15, 2021. The Interim City Manager and a review panel comprised of City staff will evaluate applications and interview final candidates to create a board that is diverse in background and experience. It is anticipated that the advisory board would begin meeting in April 2021.
For more information or to donate to the We Are Santa Monica Fund, visit www.calfund.org/WeAreSantaMonica.