The City of Santa Monica contracts with FilmL.A. for permit coordination services for the City. FilmL.A. accepts applications for permits to film within the public right-of-way, including City parks and facilities.
If any of the conditions below apply, you must provide the additional required documentation prior to pulling the permit.
- The project will encroach into a travel lane (bike/vehicle) on a road classified by the City as a "Street of Significance" [Temporary Traffic Control Plans reviewed/stamped by the Traffic Planning Division]
- The project will encroach into a travel lane (bike/vehicle) on a road not classified by the City as a "Street of Significance" [Traffic Control Plan Supplement approved by the Transportation Planning Division]
- This project will not be able to maintain 11 ft clearance in an alley at all times. [ Roadway Closure Permit approved by the Mobility Division]
Continue the Process:
Request Film Permit+ -
Submit all film permit applications directly to FilmL.A. through their Online Permit System at www.filmla.com at least 5 business days before the first day of filming. For more information, please contact FilmL.A.’s Production Planning Department at (213) 977-8600.
Film Request Gets Reviewed and Issued+ -
The film permit request gets reviewed via the FILM LA portal by various City Departments/Divisions (Public Works, Fire, Parking, etc.)
Once approved, the film permit will be issued via the FilmL.A. portal.
Request Temporary No Parking Signs+ -
Contact PW.Permits@Santamonica.gov at least 5 business days before the first day of filming to secure temporary no parking in the public right of way.
- Performing a filming survey
- Meeting with concerned community members
- Applying for additional permits (Road closure permit)
- (213) 977-8600