Changes Are Coming to the LIFE Program!
June 25, 2019
by Sirinya Matute
Beginning July 1, 2019, LIFE benefits will be loaded directly onto your LIFE-registered TAP card.
Big Blue Bus (BBB) and Los Angeles Metro (Metro) participate in the Low Income Fare is Easy (LIFE) Program, which helps qualifying residents save money on transit by providing monthly fare subsidy benefits. Beginning July 1, qualifying residents can also elect to receive 20 free single-rides on BBB or any other LIFE-participating agency each month.
Six things to know about LIFE
- Paper coupons are going away and LIFE is going digital. All benefits will be loaded onto your LIFE-registered TAP card beginning July 1, 2019.
- Existing LIFE members must re-enroll with a TAP card by June 30, 2019 to ensure no gap in benefits. Beginning July 1, 2019, you will only have to re-enroll in LIFE once a year (presently, you must re-enroll every six months).
- Maximize your benefits by obtaining a Reduced Fare TAP card. Reduced Fare TAP cards are free and available for seniors, persons with disabilities, college/vocational students, and K-12 students. Apply online for faster processing. Seniors may attend BBB’s Senior TAP Card workshops to apply in person.
- Register your LIFE-registered TAP card for balance protection. This is an additional step you can take online or by calling 866-TAPTOGO. Note: All Reduced Fare TAP cards are automatically registered.
- Simplified options for loading your discount or fare. To redeem monthly LIFE subsidies on TAP, take your LIFE-registered TAP card to Blue: The Transit Store, any TAP vendor or visit taptogo.net - New!
- More Fare Subsidy Options. Beginning July 1, 2019, you can choose to purchase or load one of the following options each month:
Discounted Passes Regional Pass (no cost)
- Four BBB 7-Day passes or participating transit agency equivalent – New!
- BBB 30-Day pass or participating transit operator equivalent
- EZ transit pass
- 20 monthly regional rides on Big Blue Bus or any participating transit operator equivalent – New!
Making Transit More Economical and Accessible
For many members of our community, transit fares can still pose a financial burden. The LIFE program, which is a countywide initiative funded through Measure M, plays an integral part in making transit fares more economical and accessible for everyone in our community.
How Can I Help?
- Share this blog post. Post it to social media or include it in an e-newsletter.
- Register customers for the LIFE program. BBB is recruiting nonprofit community-based organizations to enroll more customers! Get started by contacting Buffany Hunter at email@example.com or calling BBB at 310-451-5444.