Housing Element Update (2021 to 2029) - Home Page
The City of Santa Monica has Released the Draft 2021 - 2029 Housing Element Update
Review the Draft 2021 - 2029 Housing Element!
After several months of outreach with the community and numerous study sessions with Boards and Commissions, the draft Housing Element for 2021 to 2029 has been released for public review. Below are the documents submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), which includes the draft Housing Element, a redline of the draft Housing Element that includes City Council recommended changes, and redlines of the appendices that include the City Council recommended changes.
Download and read a copy of the Draft Plan below:Draft Housing Element 2021 -2029 Draft Housing Element 2021 -2029 (REDLINE)
The City of Santa Monica has Released the Draft Housing Element EIR for Public Review
A Draft Environmental Impact Report (Draft EIR) for the City of Santa Monica’s 2021-2029 Housing Element (or Housing Element Update) has been completed and is available for public review. The Draft EIR has been prepared in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Draft EIR analyzed potential environmental impacts associated with the proposed Housing Element Update, and identified potentially significant impacts associated with Air Quality, Cultural Resources, Noise, Public Services, Transportation, and Utilities. The Draft EIR does not focus on any specific projects that may be implemented pursuant to the proposed Housing Element Update.
In accordance with CEQA, a minimum 45-day public review period will be provided for all interested persons to submit comments on the adequacy of the Draft EIR. The comment period will start on July 1, 2021 and end at 5:30 p.m. on August 16, 2021. Written comments should be sent to:
Rachel Kwok, Environmental Planner
City Planning Division
1685 Main Street, Mailstop 28
Santa Monica, CA 90401
The Draft Suitable Sites Inventory
Components of the Housing Element
The components of the Housing Element are largely dictated by the State and typically must include:
- A detailed analysis of the City’s demographic, economic, and housing characteristics.
- A comprehensive analysis of the barriers to producing and preserving housing.
- A review of the City’s progress in implementing current housing policies and programs.
- An identification of goals, objectives, and policies, in addition to a full list of programs that will implement the vision of the plan.
- A list of sites (aka the Suitable Sites Inventory) that could accommodate new housing, demonstrating the City’s ability to meet the quantified housing number established in the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA). Identification of a site’s capacity does not guarantee that construction will occur on that site. If there are insufficient sites and capacity to meet the RHNA allocation, then the Housing Element is required to identify a rezoning program to create the required capacity.
Schedule for Updating the Housing Element
As required by State law, the revised Housing Element must be certified by the Santa Monica City Council no later than October 15, 2021, or the City of Santa Monica could lose eligibility for significant sources of State funding. The City’s anticipated timeline and steps for revising the Housing Element can be found on the Project Timeline page.
Contact the planning team directly at HousingUpdate@smgov.net.
Stay up to date on project updates and upcoming events:Sign up For Project Updates
Download the Project Fact Sheet