The City of Santa Monica has Released the Final Draft 2021 - 2029 Housing Element Update
Review the Final Draft 2021 - 2029 Housing Element!
The draft Housing Element was submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for review on July 1, 2021. After completing their review of the draft, HCD sent a letter on August 30, 2021 outlining their required changes and additional information needed in order to receive certification. The comments from HCD's letter have been addressed in the final draft Housing Element. See below for links to the response letter from HCD and the final draft Housing Element, which will be considered by the City Council on October 12, 2021. For information on when the draft will be reviewed by the Planning Commission and City Council, see the Upcoming Events page.
Download and read a copy of the Final Draft Plan below:
The City of Santa Monica has Released the Final Housing Element EIR for Public Review
The Final Environmental Impact Report (Final EIR) for the 6th Cycle Housing Element has been completed and is available for review online. The Final EIR responds to the comments received on the Draft EIR and includes the Draft EIR with text revisions. The Final EIR will be submitted to the City Planning Commission and City Council for requested certification and action on the Project. A virtual online Planning Commission public hearing for the project will be held on September 24, 2021.
The Draft Suitable Sites Inventory
Components of the Housing Element
The components of the Housing Element are largely dictated by the State and typically must include:
- A detailed analysis of the City’s demographic, economic, and housing characteristics.
- A comprehensive analysis of the barriers to producing and preserving housing.
- A review of the City’s progress in implementing current housing policies and programs.
- An identification of goals, objectives, and policies, in addition to a full list of programs that will implement the vision of the plan.
- A list of sites (aka the Suitable Sites Inventory) that could accommodate new housing, demonstrating the City’s ability to meet the quantified housing number established in the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA). Identification of a site’s capacity does not guarantee that construction will occur on that site. If there are insufficient sites and capacity to meet the RHNA allocation, then the Housing Element is required to identify a rezoning program to create the required capacity.
Schedule for Updating the Housing Element
As required by State law, the revised Housing Element must be certified by the Santa Monica City Council no later than October 15, 2021, or the City of Santa Monica could lose eligibility for significant sources of State funding. The City’s anticipated timeline and steps for revising the Housing Element can be found on the Project Timeline page.
Contact the planning team directly at HousingUpdate@smgov.net.
Stay up to date on project updates and upcoming events:
Download the Project Fact Sheet