20 (and Counting) Options For Working Families Managing Distance Learning & School Age Child Care
September 1, 2020 1:35 PM
by Sirinya Matute
(En español: 20 (y siguen aumentando) opciones para las familias trabajadoras que se hacen cargo de la educación a distancia y el cuidado de niños en edad escolar)
We understand that this is an extremely stressful time for working families everywhere – Santa Monica is no exception – especially with the launch of the new school year on August 18 (LAUSD) and August 24 (SMMUSD). For many families, the plan is online distance learning per your school’s classroom schedule per each kid. This roundup compiles additional options for local child care and tutoring, with an emphasis on programs that are free or offer financial aid.
Brainfuse HelpNow is the Santa Monica Public Library’s online homework help from one-on-one tutors, daily from 1 p.m. – 10 p.m. Brainfuse provides tutoring in English and Spanish, from early elementary through high school grades, in subjects such as math, science, reading/writing, and social studies.
You can get help 24/7 with these resources:
- Online Writing Lab: Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback (24-hour turnaround)
- Skill Surfer: Offers self-study resources including practice tests (PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP, and other state-standardized tests)
- Homework Question Center: Submit homework questions for expert guidance
Brainfuse provides many ways to learn, including electronic flash cards, the option to set up virtual study groups, and resources for ELL and ESL learners.
There is no time limit on access.
A tip from our Santa Monica Public Library librarians: It can be hard for children under 8 to articulate questions to an online tutor, so parents may need to be on hand to help facilitate.
For more information, check out this tutorial from Satna Monica Public Library, which gives a brief overview of all that Brainfuse offers
Tutoring through School On Wheels
School on Wheels is a nonprofit that provides one-on-one virtual tutoring for children who are experiencing homelessness or living in a group home setting.
Learn more: schoolonwheels.org /students
Santa Monica has 20 licensed family child care programs, with about 10 currently accepting new children. All are licensed to enroll school age children, but are doing so on a case-by-case basis in practice. You'll need to contact the provider directly to discuss your situation to determine whether it's a good fit.
With small group sizes, flexible drop-off and pick-up times, and the capacity to enroll multiple children from the same family, a licensed family child care program can be viable for families who can oversee their children’s distance-based learning in the morning, but need child care after school. You may even be able to team up with another family at the same location to manage distance-based learning.
With the support of Connections for Children, our local providers operate high-quality programs, with plenty of outdoor play and minimal (or no) screen time. All of these programs must adhere to public health guidance from the County for early care and school-age care. Committing to one of these programs is also a direct investment in a local Santa Monica business, in a sector led mostly by Black and Latinx women.
Financial aid through Connections for Children may be available for qualifying families. Contact Connections for an application and a current list of providers with openings by calling (310) 452-3325, ext. 260, or emailing Shirley Perez at email@example.com.
If you are interested in openings at a licensed center-based program, Connections for Children can also help. They are not included in this particular roundup.
Programs with Openings by Zip Code
All programs are open Monday – Friday, except where noted.
Montana Preschool – montanapreschoolsantamonica.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 7 years
- Contact: 310-663-2169; Hours: 7:30 am – 6:00 p.m.
CC’s House - ccshousechildcare.com
- Openings: Accepting Children 1 week – 10 years; separate classroom available for distance learning (children must bring their own laptops)
- Contact: 310-828-9698; Hours: 7:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
Cuddle Bear Daycare - cuddlebeardaycare.wordpress.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 3 years
- Contact: 310- 829-1400; Hours: 7:30 am – 6 p.m.
Early Childhood Learning - www.early-childhood-learning.com
- Openings: Ages 1-5 years; half-days; accepting older children on case-by-case basis.
- Contact: 310-403-8659; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Kennedy Family Child Care – kennedyfamilychildcare.com
- Openings: Ages 3 months – 5 years
- Contact: 310 921-0879 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Hours: 7:45 am – 5:30 p.m.
Sarian Family Child Care – sarianfamilychildcare.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 5 years
- Contact: 310-878-7215; Hours: 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Szasz Family Child Care
- Openings: Age 10 months – 5 years; accept older children on case-by-case basis (after school care, no distance learning)
- Contact: 310-795-5306; Hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
Berg Family Child Care
- Openings: Ages 1 – 5 years
- Contact: 310-487-7706; Hours: 7:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
Colasanti Family Child Care
- Openings: Ages 3 months – 5 years
- Contact: 310- 450-3706; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Monday - Sunday)
Programs are open Monday – Friday, except where noted.
- Amalia Daycare (90404) – amaliadaycare.com. Contact: 310-314-2719; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Barahona Family Child Care (90401). Contact: email@example.com Hours: of operation: 8:00 am – 5 p.m.
- Collier Family Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-926-9188; Hours: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The Mulberry Tree Wonderschool (90405). Contact: 310- 396-3322; Hours: Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Esmail Family Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-452-0322; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Frida’s Spanish School (90405). Contact: 310-689-9881; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Gillybean School (90405). Contact: 310-452-5740; Hours 8:30 am – 2 p.m.
- Haggerstrom Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-633-3375; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Haris Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-453-7810; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Koala Children’s Center (90404). Contact: 310-310-3277; Hours: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Kras Family Child Care (90405) Contact: 310-314-0648; Hours: Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 6:59 a.m.
- Nuestra Casita Nursery (90405) - nuestracasitanursery.com. Contact: 310-912-5475; Hours: 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- SMAP Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-452-6836. Open: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Pages Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-994-5514 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Stepping Stone Child Care and Preschool (90405). Contact: 310-453-6316; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Tivoli Rainbow Garden Preschool (90405). Contact: 310-801-3616 Hours: 8:00 am – 5 p.m.
- Wild Poppy Studio (90405). Contact: 310-529-4457; Hours: 8:45 a.m. – 5 p.m.
This is a roundup of local businesses that are offering in-person help with distance learning and online assignment support. Some of them also offer enrichment activities to provide PE, STEM, and socialization with other kids. Inclusion here is not an endorsement. Email us at email@example.com if you’d like to see your program listed here.
City of Santa Monica
This fall, the City of Santa Monica’s out of school programs will continue to reopen with limited capacity to ensure safety for the community. City staff are working to make necessary changes to programming due to modified operating hours, staff reductions, social distancing, and infection control guidance.
- CREST: CREST Club (in-person) and CREST Virtual Enrichment fall programs will begin in September 2020 on a very limited basis. For more information, visit smgov.net/crest
- Police Activities League (PAL): Fall programs will begin in September 2020 on a very limited basis. For more information, visit smpal.org
- Virginia Avenue Park (VAP): Fall programs will begin in September 2020 on a very limited basis. For more information, visit smgov.net/vapark
Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD)
- Before- and after-school care: In the planning stage, with assistance from teachers to help homework needs and fitness. Currently enrolled families will be given priority for before and after care, and there is no guarantee of available space.
- In-School work hubs: Supervised environment for students to focus on distance learning is pending County approval. SMMUSD will contact families that indicated an interest earlier this summer.
- More at: https://www.smmusd.org/DistanceLearningGuide
Santa Monica YMCA Distance Learning (elementary school)
- Availability: Some half-day spots still available
- Cost: Full Day: $270, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Half Day: $135, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. (Distance Learning only). Financial aid available through Connections for Children.
- Contact: Erika@ymcasm.org or (310) 393-2721 x 123
- Register: Download Registration Form.
- Available: Afternoon drop-in spaces. Regular day is sold out.
- Cost: Regular Day (8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.): $550 / 10 days or $300 / 5 days ($60/day); Extended Day (2:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.): +$15 / Day (billed separately); Afternoon Drop-In (2 p.m. – 5 p.m.): $250 / 10 days ($25/day)* or $150 / 5 days ($30/day)*
- Contact: ActivityCenterSM@gmail.com or call (310) 907-7399
- Available: Limited in-person instruction
- Cost: https://www.realmacademy.com/become-a-realmer/costs/
- Contact: (310) 399-1139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathnasium of Santa Monica (grades K-12)
- Available: In-Person math tutoring
- Contact: 310-692-7785 or email email@example.com
- Available: In-Person math and reading tutoring
- Cost: $175 per month, per subject.
- Contact: 310-394-0902 or firstname.lastname@example.org
310 Tutors Distance Learning Programs
- Available: POD instructors at home or in center on weekdays to manage online classes and supervise assignment completion
- Contact: (310) 434-9944 or email email@example.com
- Available: Remote learning supervision and child care
- Contact: 310-341-6269
- More info: Read about Beach Moms CDC in Part 8 of our Santa Monica Black-Owned Business series
- Available: Remote learning supervision and child care
- Contact: 310-828-8454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Available: Half-day and full-day options available. Download Flyer
- Half Day: 8:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. morning session, 12 p.m. – 3:15 pm afternoon session (Academic support, In-person distant learning pods)
- All Day 8:15 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Academic support, In-person distant learning pods, recreation recess breaks + after school care/programs)
- Cost: Full Day: $300/month (averages $75 /week); Half Day: Free (Can only attend one session per day). Financial aid available
- Contact: Linda@smbgc.org or (310) 394-2582
- Register: https://www.smbgc.org/programs/membership/
- Must be an active member to participate in virtual and in-person
- Available: Remote learning supervision, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.; Enrichment Plus Program, 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Contact: 424-835-5324 or email email@example.com
- Register: Apply online or download application
We encourage Santa Monica youth to get active after a long day of doing remote schooling!
City of Santa Monica Community Recreation
- Available: Parks (outdoor recreation only), tennis courts, the Cove Skate Park, community gardens, and youth and sport field reservations and permits; fall outdoor recreation classes (soccer, baseball, dance) begin September 28. (Details and Info);
- More at: For the latest, visit santamonica.gov/coronavirus-reopenings
Santa Monica Swim Center
- Available: Youth swim lessons, lap swim for youth who pass a proficiency test
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-458-8700
- More at: http://www.santamonicaswimcenter.org/swim-center-re-opening-updates
- Available: After-school sport clinics (substitute for P.E.) for grades 6 - 8
- Cost: $100/week for Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday sessions, 3:30 pm. - 5:30 p.m.
- Contact: Eric Mirich at 310.829.4995 or email email@example.com
- Available: Community access for field and school yard access and youth sport practices on weekday afternoons and on weekends.
- Beginning September 12: Franklin, McKinley, and Rogers Elementary School
- Beginning September 19: Edison, Grant, and Roosevelt
- Already open: Muir/SMASH field
- Contact (for field permitting inquiries): firstname.lastname@example.org
- More at: smgov.net/playgrounds and press release
Co-Working Spaces for Remote Learning
These spaces are adhering to the County protocol for office-based workplaces. This might be an option for families that need/can afford space to work together or in a small group; they offer high-speed internet. Note that child care is NOT provided - parents and guardians will need to supervise their children.
- Available: Meeting Rooms for pods; work station or private offices for families (members may bring up to 2 kids - ages 10+).
- Contact: (310) 526 2255 | bSM@blankspaces.com
- More at: Click here
Updated September 18, 2020