How to Sign Up for Utility Services

Welcome to Santa Monica! To start, transfer, or stop utility services (water/sewer/refuse), please see the options below.

Continue the Process:

Utility applications can be submitted in person at City Hall via the following options.

  1. City Hall Counter by Appointment

    + -

    Schedule an appointment at the City Hall counter by clicking here

    • Location: 1685 Main Street, City Hall East, Santa Monica, CA 90401  
    • Hours of Operation: Monday to Thursday, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
  1. Start New Service

    + -

    Complete a Utility Service Application

    1. New applicants will need to complete an application for water, sewer and refuse services and IRS form W-9 (Muni Code 7.12.120).
    2. When you reach the Deposit Confirmation section of the form (page 2), please contact the Billing & Collections office at (310) 458-8224 ext.1 for the deposit amount due. The deposit will be invoiced on your first utility bill and is not required at the time the application is submitted. If you are opting to waive the deposit, the W-9 form will not be required (Muni Code 7.12.130).
    3. Email your completed application and W-9 form to You will receive an email confirming receipt of your documentation and you will receive your first invoice within 58-62 days.
  2. Transfer Current Service

    + -

    You may transfer utility services to a new location only if you meet the following criteria: 

    1. You currently have an active utility account
    2. You are applying for service under the same account name

    If you meet the requirements, please send an email to with “Transfer of Service” on the subject line and the following in the body:

    • Your name
    • Your current active utility account number or address
    • The address of your new service
    • The date of you would like your service to be transferred

    1. Stop Service

      + -

      Single Family Property

      1. Contact the Billing & Collections Unit at (310) 458-8224 ext.1.

      Duplex, Multifamily or Commercial Properties

      1. Complete a Utility Service Cancellation Form
      2. Email the completed form to

    Contact Us: