Citywide Santa Monica Curfew is in Effect at 2:00 p.m. on June 2nd through 5:30 a.m. June 3rd.
Santa Monica Housing Division - Apply
Apply to the Section 8 and Below Market Housing (BMH) Waitlists
Not sure if you are eligible for housing assistance, or which housing program is right for you? Find out what program is the best fit for you with our Eligibility Checker:
How do I apply for Section 8?
The process to apply for a Section 8 voucher requires multiple steps:
- When the waitlist opens, submit a ‘pre-application’ online to register your interest in Section 8. You will receive an application receipt via email verifying that your application was received. This does not guarantee a place on the waitlist.
- Our staff will review your ‘pre-application’. If it appears that you may be eligible for Section 8, you will be mailed an official application.
- Once you receive the official application, you must fill it out within the time specified, and submit documents verifying the information you initially entered online in your pre-application.
- Our staff will then verify your submitted application and documents to ensure that you are eligible for the Section 8 waitlist, and to determine if you will receive a priority based on the priorities listed above.
- If you are eligible and prioritized on the waitlist, our staff will contact you!
It is extremely important that you give true and accurate information throughout this process. If you do not, it will slow the verification process down, and you could face a fine for giving false information on your application.
*Please note: All applications must be submitted online only, and require an email address for communications. As our office is closed due to COVID-19, we are unable to assist applicants who don't have an email address at this time. We understand that this may be difficult for some due to the stay-at-home order, and apologize for the inconvenience. If you have a family member or friend with internet and email access, they can submit the application on your behalf; however, all future correspondence will be to the email address submitted on the application. We will keep the waitlists open for the foreseeable future, rather than for just one day as we've done in the past, so that anyone who is not able to apply currently can apply when COVID-19 restrictions are eased in the future.*
APPLY FOR THE SECTION 8 WAITLIST
How do I apply for Below Market Housing (BMH)?
To apply for the BMH waitlist, please do the following:
- When the waitlist opens, submit your application. Please note that if you live or work in Santa Monica, you will need to upload documentation verifying that to be able to claim that preference. Documentation can be a utility bill or a paystub. As part of the application, you will report your household size and income.
- You will receive an application receipt via email verifying that your application was received.
- Wait to receive emails regarding apartments that match your household size and income level. When you receive an email for an apartment that you are interested in, opt in.* The top waitlist applicants that register their interested will be contacted by the property owner.**
*Please note that you must regularly respond to the emails asking if you're interested in apartments. If you opt out repeatedly or don't respond, you will be removed from the waitlist and have to reapply if you are still interested.
**Please note that only the applicants at the top of the waitlist will be contacted by property owners. You may have to opt in many times before you are contacted regarding an available apartment.
All applications to the Section 8 and BMH waitlists must be submitted online only, and require an email address for communications. As our office is closed due to COVID-19, we are unable to assist applicants who don't have an email address at this time. We understand that this may be difficult for some due to the stay-at-home order, and apologize for the inconvenience. If you have a family member or friend with internet and email access, they can submit the application on your behalf; however, all future correspondence will be to the email address submitted on the application. We will keep the waitlists open for the foreseeable future, rather than for just one day as we've done in the past, so that anyone who is not able to apply currently can apply when COVID-19 restrictions are eased in the future.*APPLY FOR THE BMH WAITLIST
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to apply?
You will need to provide supporting documents to verify all of the answers entered on your application.
HUD requires that we verify the following information on all applications before issuing vouchers:
- Household: Names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers for everyone in your household
- Income: Including all wages, military pay, pensions, social security, SSI, welfare, child support, unemployment income, business or professional income and any other source of income
- Assets: Including all checking and savings accounts, stock, bonds, CDs, pension funds, real estate, cash, trust funds, and investments
For what reasons might I not be eligible?
Registered sex offenders and persons with a history of violent criminal behavior are not eligible.
Former participants of housing programs that left in bad standing or have outstanding debts owed to Housing Authorities are not eligible.
Please note that background and sex offender checks will be run prior to admission to the program.
How can I obtain assistance if a disability prevents me from completing the application(s)?
Accommodations due to a disability are available through the Housing Division - please leave a message at 310-458-8743 and staff will contact you for assistance.
How can I obtain language assistance for completing the application(s)?
For language assistance, please leave a message at 310-458-8743.
What if I am unable to complate the application or need assistance?
If you need assistance with the application, please leave a message at 310-458-8743 or email email@example.com and a staff member or someone from one of our partner organizations will get back to you.
How can I be sure that my application(s) was accepted?
An Application Receipt with the date and time your application was received will be emailed to you immediately after you submit your application. Please screenshot or print and retain this receipt for your records.
After I apply, how do I check my waitlist status?
To check your status on the waitlist, go to waitlistcheck.com. Please do not call the Housing Division to inquire about your status, as we are unable to provide status updates or reset your login information. Please ensure that your contact information remains current.
When I check my status, it shows inactive. Why?
Applications remain in an "inactive" status until the application is selected for eligibility screening.
How long will it take before I receive a housing voucher or am referred for a BMH apartment?
Unfortunately, we are unable to determine the length of time before applicants are selected from the waitlist. Applicants are selected from the waitlist as funding permits and as apartments become available.