Make personal safety and security a top priority in your life. By taking a proactive approach, you can significantly reduce the risk of being criminally victimized. Review and familiarize yourself with the following crime prevention personal safety tactics and suggestions. Share them with your loved ones and friends.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Project confidence; walk purposefully, make eye contact with passers-by.
- Hold your belongings (purse, shopping bags, backpacks) close to your body.
- Carry your wallet inside your coat or in a front pocket.
- Park in well-lit areas, near businesses that are open, or where there are other people.
- When approaching your car, have your keys ready in hand.
- Check your back seat before entering the car.
- If you think you are being followed, change directions or cross the street.
- Be especially alert when using enclosed or underground parking structures.